Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is the size of the 13mmbolts that attach the front of the steering rack cover to the body?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
I can't find the correct size of bolt (2) that connects the front of the steering rack cover to the body. The back ones are 17mm, which I have but I can't find the correct size of the 13mm bolts for the front. Need length and thread size.
Thanks,
Buck
Van B
Should be M8 x 1.25. Pretty common size and pitch. The ones in my car are 10mm in length. Which is not so common. But 15mm can be found at parts stores or hardware stores.
dlee6204
agree.gif M8x1.25. I think stock size might have been 8mm long however 10mm works just fine and is available from several sources. (Bel metric, Fastenal, etc.)
bkrantz
PET says M8 x 8.
bdstone914
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Apr 11 2022, 04:54 PM) *

I can't find the correct size of bolt (2) that connects the front of the steering rack cover to the body. The back ones are 17mm, which I have but I can't find the correct size of the 13mm bolts for the front. Need length and thread size.
Thanks,
Buck

The lenght depends on the rack. The later racks have a taller boss and a deeper hole. Measure the depth.

@buck toenges
bdstone914
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 11 2022, 05:14 PM) *

agree.gif M8x1.25. I think stock size might have been 8mm long however 10mm works just fine and is available from several sources. (Bel metric, Fastenal, etc.)

They are much longer. More like 20-25mm.
ndfrigi
Thanks Buck for asking this. I need 4 pieces for that front bolts. (2 for me and 2 for a friend). Please share where to buy them for later years.
Mikey914
I probably have them, I'm just not sure which ones you mean.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 12 2022, 07:37 AM) *

Thanks Buck for asking this. I need 4 pieces for that front bolts. (2 for me and 2 for a friend). Please share where to buy them for later years.

Click to view attachment
Van B
@ndfrigi
Where'd you get that fresh trim from? Does 914 Rubber make it? If so, I haven't seen it before.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 12 2022, 10:52 AM) *

@ndfrigi
Where'd you get that fresh trim from? Does 914 Rubber make it? If so, I haven't seen it before.

Not sure where I bought it since I have since 2014 and installed it only last 2017 before the buyer pick-up the car. Below is the picture of the label.

914rubber has them.

https://914rubber.com/steering-pan-seal-set-1-1

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 12 2022, 05:53 AM) *

They are much longer. More like 20-25mm.

Are you talking the shank length, or the overall length? The sizes in the manual are for the shank, M8 is 8mm diameter shank (takes a 13mm wrench) and x8 means 8mm long shank, but does not count the height of the bolt head.

--DD
mepstein
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 12 2022, 01:52 PM) *

@ndfrigi

Yes, they make it.
Van B
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 12 2022, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 12 2022, 01:52 PM) *

@ndfrigi

Yes, they make it.

Yeah I found it thanks to the part numbers he posted. I never could find it otherwise.
Mikey914
Yes those bolts are a little odd as they are short.
I was wondering if you meant the face plate screws for the tension spring. We do have a few of them plated for the rack rebuilds we do.
Aerostatwv
https://belmetric.com/ has a great selection of metric hardware. I've ordered those pan bolts from them.
Superhawk996
Just a note:

Those 4 fasteners that attach the front suspension cross-member to the body should be grade 10.9 bolts. Most fasteners on the vehicle are grade 8.8.

The two short bolts that are holding the steering rack cover to the cross-member can be 8.8. Those are not structural attachments.

PET is usually your friend for these sorts of fastener questions.

Item #2 M12 x 1.5 x 80 Grade 10.9. The longer front fasteners.

Click to view attachment

Item #6 are the 2 shorter rear fasteners that secure the cross-member to the body are M10 x 20. In this case M10 without a thread pitch means standard coarse thread. So these are M10 x 1.5 x 20 Grade 10.9

Dlee6204 and Van B got you your answer on the two non-structrual M8's that hold the cover to the cross-member. These are Item #9 M8 x 8. Again here M8 without a thread pitch is reference to standard coarse thread pitch for a M8 which is 1.25. So M8 x 1.25 x 8 Grade 8.8. 8mm is a pretty stubby bolt. You may not find it in stock with Bellmetric. If you don't, that is what the hacksaw and file are for. smash.gif
Eric_Shea
M8x1.25x8 (10 works as well). All fasteners are measured from under the head as @dave_darling mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.