Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bay Specs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
guytranspo
Hello all,

I am in the early stages of a 914 electric conversion project. So early that I haven’t purchased the chassis, but I’m looking at another today. Fingers crossed.
I’m doing a lot of research to make sure that the project is worthwhile, and one thing that I need is the measurement to make sure that the motor will fit in the chassis.

So, can anyone help me out with the measurement from the trans to the firewall?

Thanks for the info in advance.
targa72e
Quick check with tape measure looks like 26-1/2 inches +/- !/2 inch from firewall to tranny bellhousing. Not a straight shot to measure so best eyeball guesstimate.

john
guytranspo
QUOTE(targa72e @ Apr 12 2022, 11:58 AM) *

Quick check with tape measure looks like 26-1/2 inches +/- !/2 inch from firewall to tranny bellhousing. Not a straight shot to measure so best eyeball guesstimate.

john

Thanks. It’s a great starting point.
914e
QUOTE(guytranspo @ Apr 12 2022, 01:39 PM) *

john

What are you tying to fit?
guytranspo
QUOTE(914e @ Apr 12 2022, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(guytranspo @ Apr 12 2022, 01:39 PM) *

john

What are you tying to fit?

Looking at this, however, it’s fairly long.
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info...products_id=170
Chris914n6
$9k motor. whew

So quick math... $20k for the EV swap is 4000 gallons @ $5. Stock 914 gets 30 mpg so that's 120,000 miles. Are you really going to drive a 50 year old VW/Porsche that much in Socal traffic?

Then there is the reality that a 914 is just too small for all the batteries needed for a decent range. Plus the chassis wasn't engineered to handle the extra 500lbs or so of lithium.

It sounds cool to own a Porsche EV until you realize you could have bought a near new Leaf with AC, heat, airbags, ABS, power windows, window seals that keep water out, and a warranty. Plus truck space.

$5k gets you a Subaru swap with a modern drivetrain and makes cool noises if you just want better than original.
guytranspo
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 12 2022, 04:58 PM) *

$9k motor. whew

So quick math... $20k for the EV swap is 4000 gallons @ $5. Stock 914 gets 30 mpg so that's 120,000 miles. Are you really going to drive a 50 year old VW/Porsche that much in Socal traffic?

Then there is the reality that a 914 is just too small for all the batteries needed for a decent range. Plus the chassis wasn't engineered to handle the extra 500lbs or so of lithium.

It sounds cool to own a Porsche EV until you realize you could have bought a near new Leaf with AC, heat, airbags, ABS, power windows, window seals that keep water out, and a warranty. Plus truck space.

$5k gets you a Subaru swap with a modern drivetrain and makes cool noises if you just want better than original.

Yes, it’s not the most practical project, but it’s more about the project than the product.
It will be a novelty. If I can get 120 hp, lots of torque, and 120 mile range, it will be fun enough to justify.
For the money, I am being tempted with the thought of a GT / 6 cyl build.
We will see.
r_towle
I believe you can fit the whole drivetrain from a Tesla into the back of the 914, with transmission, motor, and rear suspension.

Those are 4-5k used.
More power..
guytranspo
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2022, 05:52 PM) *

I believe you can fit the whole drivetrain from a Tesla into the back of the 914, with transmission, motor, and rear suspension.

Those are 4-5k used.
More power..

I like the idea of keeping a transmission and Porsche suspension.
Tesla motors also require a lot more voltage and complicate battery options.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(guytranspo @ Apr 12 2022, 08:41 PM) *

The world has plenty of soulless EV's and they will soon be mandated upon you (especially in CA) whether your like them or not.

I'd vote for the GT / 6 cylinder option -- do it now . . . while you still can.
Shivers
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 13 2022, 05:27 AM) *

QUOTE(guytranspo @ Apr 12 2022, 08:41 PM) *

The world has plenty of soulless EV's and they will soon be mandated upon you (especially in CA) whether your like them or not.

I'd vote for the GT / 6 cylinder option -- do it now . . . while you still can.

@guytranspo You live in such a nice area, be a shame to cut a great drive short. So many great roads with in reach, WCR every year, and the Audio Therapy of those six cylinders right behind you. Now I looked and total length of the electric motor was like 24" and some would go inside the bell housing. So it looks like it would fit.
914e
QUOTE(guytranspo @ Apr 12 2022, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2022, 05:52 PM) *

Those are 4-5k used.
More power..

I like the idea of keeping a transmission and Porsche suspension.
Tesla motors also require a lot more voltage and complicate battery options.

I agree with keeping the transmission and suspension. The torque of the motor is hard on the transaxle and CV joints. So you need to bring those up to top condition. You are also doing much of the slowing of the car through the drivetrain so parts that are already marginal don't last long.

With the dual AC-34 your peak current will be around 1200 amps though at around 96 volts you will likely have 4-5 96 volt battery packs so outputting that 1200 amps should not be a problem. Your main DC cables are going to be large and you will need dual contactors.

For 120 miles you need around 30kWh of batteries which will could make the car around 100-150 pounds heavier than a 914/6. It all depends on the energy density of the battery.

You will need a small coolant loop for the inverters, it doesn't take much. The batteries should also have a coolant loop. A pump, a fan and small radiator might be all you need in your area.

The cost of doing a 6 conversion seems to be running in 15K range. So the cost of 6 vs EV are about the same. The 6 will require more modifications to the chassis, however, they are "factorish". For the EV you might have to drill few 1/8" to 1/4 holes for mounting, it depends how good you are making brackets that pickup factory mounting locations.

A Leaf motor is the right power range and can be had for $400-800. It will take more engineering on your part. Thunderstruck Motors make a VCU for them

guytranspo
Thanks for all of the input.
It’s a lot to think about. In my mind, both Electric and 6 would be fun conversions. Each have their appeal. I definitely have some thinking to do.
I will definitely check out the Leaf option. It hadn’t crossed the radar to this point in my research.
Chris914n6
Take a look at a Subaru flat 6. 3L 200hp EZ30 all the right noises and none of the expensive Porsche -6 bits like the oil tank, carbs, sheetmetal, and headers. Already a couple of build threads here.
guytranspo
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 13 2022, 02:17 PM) *

Take a look at a Subaru flat 6. 3L 200hp EZ30 all the right noises and none of the expensive Porsche -6 bits like the oil tank, carbs, sheetmetal, and headers. Already a couple of build threads here.

I drive an Outback everyday and love Subies, but if the 914 is burning fuel, it will have to be a Porsche.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.