Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Off to the paint shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flyer86d
Well, the 914-6 is off to the paint shop. I’ve owned #311 since August, 1981 disassembled and boxed. A few other restorations kind of got in the way of this one. What prompted this was that Sue and I sold our home in Vermont on March 1st but had negotiated an additional month to move all of the stuff out of the barn. This was the ideal time to drop the car at the paint shop and finally get the project started while we are relocating to our cottage on the coast of Maine. Fortunately, we do have garages at our Maine home.

The fellow that did a stellar job on our 1968 911 is painting the car in its original Canary Yellow. Wouldn’t you know it, that this car has seen the light of day trice in 40 years gets trailered to the shop in the rain!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
How exciting to see that nice Six move on to get its original color reapplied. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif

Awesome! Can't wait to see pics of the finished paint. It's a great feeling picking up a freshly painted 914.

Dion
Very nice. Please share the results! Look forward to its completion. Good
Luck with the move and all that goes with it.
flyer86d
Thanks for the kind words! My next trip to Vermont is scheduled for May 2nd and 3rd so I plan on dropping in on the paint shop. I guess I better head over to the storage unit and start going thru the boxes of 914 stuff. I know that there will be a lot of metal hardware that has to be plated so I better get that organized. Anybody have experience doing it yourself?

Charlie
mepstein
Find a place that will do it by the pound and do the prep yourself. I use a HarborFreight bench grinder with a wire wheel. Works great. Use a full face shield and dust mask.

mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2022, 06:32 PM) *

Find a place that will do it by the pound and do the prep yourself. I use a HarborFreight bench grinder with a wire wheel. Works great. Use a full face shield and dust mask.

So my newest method for preparing the parts for plating is just a week in vinegar and then wash and wd40 and bring to plater.
flyer86d
Here is some of the progress. One repaint and lots of Nitro-Stan to be removed. These were taken a week ago. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

On Friday, Mike sent me some photos in its first (of many) primer coats.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

It’s coming along!

Charlie
Cairo94507
It is so cool to see the chassis transform into a masterpiece. beerchug.gif
flyer86d
Michael,

I only hope that I can come close to the level of detail of your car!! I have to travel to Vermont on Thursday for a small medical procedure and I hope that I have time to pay the shop a visit. It is exciting to say the least.

Charlie
TRS63
That is gonna be one nice 6 wub.gif

Antoine
Cairo94507
Charlie- Thank you very much. beerchug.gif Good luck on the medical procedure and hopefully you have the opportunity to stop and see your car afterwards. The more you see your car while in process, the better.

I am beginning to believe these cars are never-ending projects. Once they are back on the road, ( in my case, after a full disassembly/restoration) the project shifts to addressing things that just need a bit more attention.

I keep a white board in the garage with a running list of projects on my car and we just keep working away at that list. I would be lying if I said I did not like it. Every time I walk out into the garage my car puts a smile on my face- without even starting her! wub.gif
euro911
Iffin it weren't a '6', I just clear-coat it the way it was when it was sanded down laugh.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

It'd be one of a kind for sure shades.gif
Root_Werks
Looking good!
r_towle
What shop are you using?
I’m interested to see if they may be willing to take on another project.

Rich
flyer86d
I was able to stop by after getting my spine radiated this past Thursday. While the exterior doesn’t appear too much different from the photos that Mike sent the prior week, an additional 5 or 6 coats of primer have been applied and blocked. They have been hard at work prepping the trunks, wheel wells, engine compartment and floor. They sprayed some with an epoxy primer sealer. All in all, no surprises! I’ll post the photos when
I figure out how to flip them over.

Charlie

flyer86d
Some more pictures received today. It should be all yellow sometime next week.

CharlieClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(flyer86d @ May 21 2022, 12:16 PM) *

Some more pictures received today. It should be all yellow sometime next week.

CharlieClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Love the project and great to see the passion!
Root_Werks
That is some quick progress, looking great!
ctc911ctc
Vinegar and Ultrasound??????

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 16 2022, 06:49 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2022, 06:32 PM) *

So my newest method for preparing the parts for plating is just a week in vinegar and then wash and wd40 and bring to plater.

flyer86d
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 23 2022, 11:09 AM) *

That is some quick progress, looking great!

That is why I like these folks, they get right to it and don’t push the car into the back corner to do something else. Truth be told, the car is rust free and while they found some minor door dings and dents, there was no major collision damage hiding under the primer. Thank you for the kind words!

Charlie

Dion
That’s awesome Charlie. A good and sound chassis. Going to look great.
Fast recovery wished for you too!
flyer86d
Here is what I received yesterday.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
flyer86d
And what I received today. I guess it is ready to come home. Now the hard work starts. Fortunately, I think that I have everything to assemble it but I know that I will start cherry-picking thru the parts stash. I do know that the sail panel trim and some of the windshield trim that I have is crap but I will go thru everything piece by piece.

CharlieClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
slowrodent
Well....That's certainly a beautiful base to start with! Congrats to you and looking forward to watching your progress.

Kevin
porschetub
QUOTE(flyer86d @ May 28 2022, 09:31 AM) *

And what I received today. I guess it is ready to come home. Now the hard work starts. Fortunately, I think that I have everything to assemble it but I know that I will start cherry-picking thru the parts stash. I do know that the sail panel trim and some of the windshield trim that I have is crap but I will go thru everything piece by piece.

CharlieClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Wow that looks great w00t.gif .
Root_Werks
Wow, wow, wow! Looks great!
Cairo94507
A major milestone. Now the fun of putting all the nice parts back on the car. Enjoy. beerchug.gif
pfreiburger
Congratulations! The paint looks great and you have all the worst stuff behind you. You have a lot of work to come, but all of it is more enjoyable - IMO - than rust repair and paint prep. I think you should celebrate a major milestone this weekend!
flyer86d
Look at what followed me home yesterday. It was a 14 hour day driving to the paint shop in Vermont and the back home to the Maine coast. Now comes the fun part. Sifting thru the boxes of parts to assemble it!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

Looks fantastic Charlie !
You have your work cut out for you.
Be prepared.......now every thing you want add needs to be cleaned, rebuilt, painted,
polished, plated, welded, replaced, purchased or found.
Same goes for the hardware to attach it.
smile.gif
Eyes on the prize.
It's going to be great.
Can't wait.
Rory
porschetub
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 12 2022, 03:49 AM) *

Looks fantastic Charlie !
You have your work cut out for you.
Be prepared.......now every thing you want add needs to be cleaned, rebuilt, painted,
polished, plated, welded, replaced, purchased or found.
Same goes for the hardware to attach it.
smile.gif
Eyes on the prize.
It's going to be great.
Can't wait.
Rory

Really worth it and it looks great ,lot of work ahead but a fresh painted car is enough to motivate lots of progress on reassembly ,would be nice to move on the wooden handbrake also lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .
autopro
It looks great, they did a very good job. I feel assembly is the most fun part of the restoration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.