Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding VDO Console Clocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I had a couple of dead clocks and I wanted to bring them back to life. VDO Audi clocks are the same unit as the one used in the 914 center console clock. HOWEVER please be AWARE there are vast differences. You have to make sure you pick the clock that MATCHES the rear of the one you have. Some of the early 914 ones use the same as the 911 and Audi. Later 914 can ONLY use one version of the Audi clock. MOTORMETER version is NOT acceptable.

The procedure is really simple, finding the correct clock is the hard part. This procedure is for the late clock only. Take off the clock trim ring. Remove the 3 screws on the back. Unsolder the button, clock will drop out. Remove the hands of the clock and remove faceplate of 914 clock. Follow the same procedure removing the clock from the Audi case. Audi clock will have inner steel case that is not needed. Remove the hands and swap out the faceplate to 914. Replace new hands on clock. Now you are ready to put new movement back in 914 case. Align movement making sure you have the pin aligned for soldering. Hold movement and tighten 3 screws snug, remembering that are going into 50 year old PLASTIC. Take some solder wick and clean up old solder. Solder button. Power up clock and see IF it works. Movement MUST be grounded to case for it to work.

There are 3 different versions of front winding stem. It is hard to know which one will work with the new clock

1 Motormeter clock that will not work
2 Rear of Audi clock that will work on late 914 clock
3 Replacement Audi Clock for Early 914
4 Replacement Audi clock for late 914 clock

Early non quartz clock is a waste of time in my opinion.
914Sixer
Two clocks I did, plastic lens are terrible. Will send to NHS for replacments and paint trim ring.
Retroracer
Nice - thx for posting! Always interesting to see custom work like this.

- Tony
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 13 2022, 07:36 PM) *

Early non quartz clock is a waste of time in my opinion.

Please send all your non-functional early mechanical movement clocks my way laugh.gif . . . . I love mechanical contraptions. Why else would I be playing with 50 year old cars shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.