Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder Coat Wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
I have 4 of these - recently bought a new set of tires (195s ) as specified on this site.

I took the tires and wheels to the local wheel guy, wheels are in good condition but need to be cleaned up - he stated that he was going to powder coat to recondition them - this sounds a bit funky, here is a picture of the wheel (this one is not mine).

Click to view attachment

Any thoughts as to using this coating as a method of reconditioning? I do not want a shiny look - more of the matte look as from the factory is desired.

Thanks, Teeners!
CTC911CTC
bkrantz
Are you talking about a clear coating?
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 13 2022, 08:11 PM) *

Can you powder coat in clear?
Van B
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 13 2022, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 13 2022, 08:11 PM) *

Can you powder coat in clear?

Hahahaha!
That’s not the question my friend. The question is what kind of clear do you want? Semi gloss, matte, gloss, ultra gloss? Almost every wheel produced on the road today is powder coated… and in every color imaginable.
Aerostatwv
Here's what they look like powder coated. Click to view attachment
fiacra
Not sure if this previous thread will be of any use to you.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=110767
saigon71
I went the with silver powder coat on my Mahles years ago - durable, looks great and easy to clean. I highly recommend it. They aren't overly shiney either.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Apr 13 2022, 07:01 PM) *

I have 4 of these - recently bought a new set of tires (19s ) as specified on this site.

I took the tires and wheels to the local wheel guy, wheels are in good condition but need to be cleaned up - he stated that he was going to powder coat to recondition them - this sounds a bit funky, here is a picture of the wheel (this one is not mine).

Click to view attachment

Any thoughts as to using this coating as a method of reconditioning? I do not want a shiny look - more of the matte look as from the factory is desired.

Thanks, Teeners!
@CTC911CTC

Do not powder coat where the lug bolt contact the wheel. It needs to be vare metal.
BK911
I had pedrinis blasted and powder coated clear.
LOVE the way they turned put.
Even look AWESOME several years later.
VaccaRabite
Powdercoat is for sure the way to go.

Zach
Cairo94507
So what are the 19's (tires) for then? And, yes powder coat them clear. I would do a satin finish. beerchug.gif
TJB/914
smile.gif

Powder coating is a perfect factory look. w00t.gif

I have (5) Mahle wheels powder coated semi gloss (Ford Silver) ready to be installed one of these days when I get tired looked at my polished Fuchs.
I really feel Mahle wheels will be the future must have wheels pray.gif

Tom

Van B
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 14 2022, 08:54 AM) *

So what are the 19's (tires) for then? And, yes powder coat them clear. I would do a satin finish. beerchug.gif

I took that as meaning "195's". But yeah, 19's would be a self critiquing problem!
mepstein
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Apr 14 2022, 09:59 AM) *

smile.gif

Powder coating is a perfect factory look. w00t.gif

I have (5) Mahle wheels powder coated semi gloss (Ford Silver) ready to be installed one of these days when I get tired looked at my polished Fuchs.
I really feel Mahle wheels will be the future must have wheels pray.gif

Tom

Nice wall art in the meantime. beerchug.gif
930cabman
What was the factory finish? Clear anodize?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.