Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marcus Smith’s Corvair engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Whilst I never met Marcus he and I exchanged numerous emails about 914’s, Corvair engines and life before his passing in early 2021.

Some of you may remember he was building a 3.2l Corvair engine for his 914 but unfortunately was never able to hear it running. He sold it shortly before his passing.

Does anyone here know what became of Marcus’ engine? Is it roaring into life in Marcus’ honour?

I do so miss his emails.

Thanks

DaveO
Australia
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Apr 14 2022, 07:02 AM) *

Whilst I never met Marcus he and I exchanged numerous emails about 914’s, Corvair engines and life before his passing in early 2021.

Some of you may remember he was building a 3.2l Corvair engine for his 914 but unfortunately was never able to hear it running. He sold it shortly before his passing.

No idea. In fact, I missed that he passed. unsure.gif sad.gif Thats bad news, I knew he had been ill for some time. In many ways '21 was harder then '20, at least in my house, and I think I missed a lot. Marcus was a cool guy. I had noted that he had not posted in a long while, but was hoping he was still hanging on.

Zach
BeatNavy
This morning when I saw the OP I searched and found Marcus (R3dplanet) had last posted in October. I knew he was getting progressively sicker. In his signature block, he had the following link:

https://ismarcusalive.com/

God bless you, Marcus. I never met you, but I liked that you had an offbeat sense of humor and didn't run with the herd. I used your throttle body rebuild thread to do mine which helped me a lot.
914werke
sad.gif
Tbrown4x4
I wondered as well. It’s been awhile. If he set up that link, or instructed someone to do so, it’s a epic farewell. I’ll raise a glass in his honor.
sixnotfour
Iif true ..So Long My Friend... beer3.gif
mepstein
sad.gif

wonkipop
bummer about marcus. sad.gif
the cars are outliving us. sad.gif

he was on to something. smile.gif

mules for the corvair engine test program.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
That car needed more gauges.
worn
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 14 2022, 08:10 AM) *

This morning when I saw the OP I searched and found Marcus (R3dplanet) had last posted in October. I knew he was getting progressively sicker. In his signature block, he had the following link:

https://ismarcusalive.com/

God bless you, Marcus. I never met you, but I liked that you had an offbeat sense of humor and didn't run with the herd. I used your throttle body rebuild thread to do mine which helped me a lot.

Brave man. That is a courageous link. Always hoped against hope for him. And like many, didn’t know he was gone forever.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 15 2022, 04:33 AM) *

At That Point the Chevy Engrs..didnt get it rotated the wrong direction ??
So Long Marcus..we will talk Corvair Engines ...
Porschef
Sad to hear about Marcus, I just went back through some of our pm’s regarding cancer...

He was always as upbeat as could be, and always maintained his offbeat sense of humor.

RIP sad.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 16 2022, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 15 2022, 04:33 AM) *

At That Point the Chevy Engrs..didnt get it rotated the wrong direction ??
So Long Marcus..we will talk Corvair Engines ...

your right mate.
i forgot the bit about the gearbox for mid engined.
was just thinking that the chevy boys were thinking right getting 6 jugs in where porsche had been just doing 4.

i remember reading something how porsche returned the compliment by testing the 911 proto engines in a corvair station wagon.

i know of a university academic down here lives down on the great ocean road.
usa expat. he has a biggish collection of corvairs. including a delivery van.
i have not seen him for a couple of years, but he has a real nice two door late model.
think it might be a monza. have i got that right. don't know a lot about corvairs.
fairly rare car down in this part of the world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.