Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Favorite Hobo Hacks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
All of us here on 914 World LOVE having our cars running AND looking great - but are inherently cheap about it (except for NOS/NLA parts...).
What are YOUR favorite "hobo" hacks that make owning/running your car great but don't cost a control arm and a dog leg? piratenanner.gif
I'll post my 5 favorites in the following posts.
StarBear
1. Got Zambezi Green? Use Rustoleum 2X "Meadow Green" for an almost perfect match. Great for non-primary places like wheel wells, inner rockers, and frunk bottom. About $5 a can. I hear the yellow is a really close match, too, but unsure of which yellow (car paint or 2X paint).
Click to view attachment
StarBear
2. Not sure when you replaces your air filter? Sure, you could dig out your maintenance record book (IF you can find it), or just do this. You'll always know where the info is located. Just a black Sharpie.
Click to view attachment
StarBear
3. Not sure your cooling flap is opening? No big deal, but hard to confirm. This little bit of electrical tape and line tells exactly how open it is, as the rod bends/turns as the heat rises. No cost unless you don't have yellow (or white) electrical tape.
Click to view attachment
StarBear
4. My favorite - a third brake light for our "little ones". LED strip from Autozone, with some vinyl magnets (painted to match the car color) underneath the roll bar (See Hobo Hack #1). About 30 minutes to attach and easily removable if/when one ever wants and needs no drill holes in the roll bar. About $30. There is a thread or two on this topic a few months back.
Click to view attachment
StarBear
5. Sort of minutia on this one, but we Virgos seek the details. The underside of the frunk spare tire cover gets worn from rubbing along the edge of the tire and other knockabouts over the decades. I found another cheap, perfectly matching alternative to renew and restore the almost flat black underside (pending repair of chips and gouges in the fiberboard) - Rustoleum Rust Reformer spray. About $8.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Your Favorite Hobo Hacks?

IPB Image
Root_Werks
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 14 2022, 01:37 PM) *

1. Got Zambezi Green? Use Rustoleum 2X "Meadow Green" for an almost perfect match. Great for non-primary places like wheel wells, inner rockers, and frunk bottom. About $5 a can. I hear the yellow is a really close match, too, but unsure of which yellow (car paint or 2X paint).
Click to view attachment

Ditto for me as well! There is a metallic blue Rustoleum has that's 90% match to my Anacona Blue Met. Good enough for spots you don't really see or always covered in shadow etc.
alruff@comcast.net
Wasp and Hornet Spray for wasp nests in the door jams ar15.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2022, 03:01 PM) *

IPB Image

+1, when there's a wrench, there's a way
Costa05
Small piece of wire shrink tube over seat height adjuster tenon takes most of the slop out of the fitment to receiving adjustment bracket. Durability remains to be seen though.

Click to view attachment
Van B
Zip ties!
StarBear
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 14 2022, 08:37 PM) *

Zip ties!

Especially for those lines and cables underneath the car. Cheap, effective, and readily available! biggrin.gif
nivekdodge
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2022, 05:01 PM) *

IPB Image

Had to look at that a few times....
bkrantz

IPB Image

That's awesome. Replacing the original engine or an addition?
930cabman
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 14 2022, 07:45 PM) *

IPB Image

That's awesome. Replacing the original engine or an addition?

Maybe double the power aktion035.gif
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 14 2022, 04:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Rustoleum "Hunter Green" did my Irish Green floors and hell hole. shades.gif

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
No pictures, but rattle can Chevrolet Orange is a match for Signal Orange/Phoenix red paint.

barefoot
Valspar rattle can #84222 Cut Ruby for engine tins &
Tempo Engine enamel No 207 for tranny & Fan shroud

Click to view attachment
anderssj

Rustoleum "Hunter Green" did my Irish Green floors and hell hole. shades.gif
IPB Image

agree.gif
Just did this same hack in the same places!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.