Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dremel Cutting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I ‘ going to cut an access hole in the tunnel to repair a clutch tube clamp. Question is: Zia my Dremel pictured gonna do the job.
Bartlett 914
Yup. That will work fine.
930cabman
Probably the perfect tool, take it slow and not too deep

I used a die grinder and it worked well, took out the almost the entire top to clean the insides of the tunnel.
BeatNavy
I use one of those all the time for just that type of cutting. Agreed, take your time. It may be helpful to draw where you want to cut, and practice trying to get the blade perpendicular to the metal so the cut goes in straight. Sometimes it's helpful to go lightly first to create a "guide cut." You may end up going through more than one blade, as they do tend to break.
mepstein
Wear your safety glasses.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 14 2022, 05:32 PM) *

For sure !
aharder
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 14 2022, 07:32 PM) *

agree.gif
Maltese Falcon
N95 mask as well...the resin in the blade will do you no favors. Throw an old beach towel or bekins blanket* around the work area, protect the interior (*spray a thin mist of h20 on it) keep from sparkin' up with the hot cinders
marty914.jpg
bkrantz
Perfect tool. Buy more blades than you think you need.
jim_hoyland
Thanks for all those tips, I’ll post pics later.
Spoke
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 14 2022, 08:31 PM) *
...it's helpful to go lightly first to create a "guide cut."

agree.gif

The dremel cutoff wheel works best when you take slices off of the metal. One guide slice cut then run through either one side at a time or all around taking just a little bit off each pass until you break through.
JeffBowlsby
I would never cut the tunnel, there are better ways to repair a broken clutch tube.
Front yard mechanic
A grinder with a thin blade 5 for 6.00 at harbor freight will be better and easier to control . The dremmel will work but wants to walk away . Either will cut your fingers off equally welder.gif
Lilchopshop
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 14 2022, 11:55 PM) *

I would never cut the tunnel, there are better ways to repair a broken clutch tube.

Please share!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 14 2022, 08:29 PM) *

N95 mask as well...the resin in the blade will do you no favors. Throw an old beach towel or bekins blanket* around the work area, protect the interior (*spray a thin mist of h20 on it) keep from sparkin' up with the hot cinders
marty914.jpg

I couldn't agree more. I always wear a mask. Even a little cutting without wearing one really kills my sinuses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.