Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2056 build with L-jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
Hello All,

My 1.8 engine needs a rebuild, and I have decided to build a 2056 while keeping the L-jet fuel injection.
Is it worth going w/2.0 heads? I would need to change a lot...the tin, the HEs, the intake runners, and also the L-jet plenum is not a direct bolt on.
Stock heads/reconditioned/new? AA and AMC castings? round or square port? valve sizes?
Do forged pistons make a big difference?
Anyone using the Raby 9590 camshaft or Webcam 86 with their 2056, or another grind?

Just prior to my finding out I need to rebuild my engine, I had purchased new 1.8 injectors from Stoddard, so I may need to bump up to the next flow rate, but am not positive about that. I have a fuel regulator so I may be able to get away with making an adjustment and keep my new injectors.

Another option is posting a WTB 2056 in the classifieds.

Any input would be much appreciated!
davesprinkle
I'm running a 2056 with the stock L-jet. Works great. Use the original injectors and airflow meter. There's enough margin in the original setup to accommodate the (slightly) higher airflow of the 2056. I'm using the 1.8 spec heads, cam, and SSI exhaust. Works well.
BeatNavy
Just posted this the other day, so at the risk of repeating myself: I've got the 9590 cam. I've got one in a 2056 (D-Jet) and 2270 (Microsquirt). Works great with FI. Nice performance bump and has a very stable idle other than when the engine is stone cold. At first start up it needs a lot of air which means for a minute or two you may be blipping the throttle. After that, it's great.
jim_hoyland
I run L-Jet on my 2056. I added a Vanagon TB. and the 1-2-3 Ignition Distributer.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 15 2022, 06:22 AM) *

Just posted this the other day, so at the risk of repeating myself: I've got the 9590 cam. I've got one in a 2056 (D-Jet) and 2270 (Microsquirt). Works great with FI. Nice performance bump and has a very stable idle other than when the engine is stone cold. At first start up it needs a lot of air which means for a minute or two you may be blipping the throttle. After that, it's great.

agree.gif

Running a 9590 cam with the stock L-Jet works great. But you need the bigger bus throttle body and 912E injectors to really make it work well.

The 912E injectors are the same as a 1980 Datsun/Nissan 280ZX injectors. They are available from your FLAPS.

BWD Fuel Injector
Part #: 57519P

Throttle body conversion thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=244849

Clay
Cairo94507
Hi James - This is going to be exciting. I think you will be very happy with the 2056 build. Looking forward to seeing you again. beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
Good luck finding a vanagon TB that does not need a rebuild.

I went with the GoWesty unit. Here is my thread on it. I am using Microsquirt, but my intake track is off an LJet car - so this would be the same exact thing you need to do. Is really easy and you get a nice boost at the top end with it. It is also just a little larger then the Vanagon unit, so you getting more air. Its just the better all around option.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2914136

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 15 2022, 08:07 AM) *

Zach

agree.gif

When I did the one for Betty's 914, I had to drill out the bushings and replace them with new bronze bushings. I had to take it apart anyway... smash.gif

And I just checked. GoWesty is sold out on their throttle bodies right now.

Clay
markhoward
Hey James, Sounds like you are solid with the build choices. Can’t wait to see how it comes out.
Van B
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 15 2022, 09:07 AM) *

I went with the GoWesty unit. Here is my thread on it. I am using Microsquirt, but my intake track is off an LJet car - so this would be the same exact thing you need to do. Is really easy and you get a nice boost at the top end with it. It is also just a little larger then the Vanagon unit, so you getting more air. Its just the better all around option.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2914136

Zach

Great looking TB! But I think that the single vacuum port will be a problem for all but a few L-Jet configs.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 15 2022, 04:33 AM) *

agree.gif

Running a 9590 cam with the stock L-Jet works great. But you need the bigger bus throttle body and 912E injectors to really make it work well.

The 912E injectors are the same as a 1980 Datsun/Nissan 280ZX injectors. They are available from your FLAPS.

BWD Fuel Injector

Throttle body conversion thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=244849

Clay

I'm going to disagree with the advice to replace the fuel injectors. The airflow meter, the injectors, and the ECU are all designed to work toether for a targeted A/F ratio. If you change the injectors, you've left the Bosch highway and are going offroading.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 15 2022, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 15 2022, 04:33 AM) *

agree.gif

BWD Fuel Injector

Clay

I'm going to disagree with the advice to replace the fuel injectors. The airflow meter, the injectors, and the ECU are all designed to work toether for a targeted A/F ratio. If you change the injectors, you've left the Bosch highway and are going offroading.

Dave,

The factory parts manuals superseded all of the 914 1.8L L-jet injectors to the ones used on the 912E. So if you buy replacement injectors from Porsche for your 1.8L L-Jet injected 914, you will get 912E injectors.

Clay
Van B
@JeffBowlsby has done all the hard work for us on anticipating differences in fuel injectors. check out his table here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=neihoff

912E has a different hose, but is the same injector regarding flow.
ChrisFoley
James, here's a pic of an intake using 2L heads/runners and 1.8L plenum. It requires longer, flexible hoses with clamps to connect.
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 15 2022, 10:51 AM) *

@JeffBowlsby has done all the hard work for us on anticipating differences in fuel injectors. check out his table here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=neihoff

912E has a different hose, but is the same injector regarding flow.

The original L-Jet injector did not have the same flow. Porsche superseded it in the 80s to the 912E injector.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.