Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Surge!! type4store down!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
I'm on a wireless laptop in the yard of the shop as I write this...

I was working last night when I heard a loud boom, followed by a dimming of the lights...

I shut all the computers down and went in the house....

Come out this morning and ALL BUT ONE computer is zapped, all the printers are zapped and even the telephones!!!

When the power was restored the technician did not verify voltage, (they admitted to it) so now they owe me a complete network of 12 computers!

Long story short, we are restoring backed up files to this and another laptop so we can *try* to fill orders through the store.... If you have an order in with us, or place one today it will more than likely not get queued until tomorrow when this is resolved.

I had back up UPS's and surge protection, and nothing helped- It even got the dyno weather station, and the telephones and even the refrigerator!

All because some slacker didn't do his job-

Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause...
ClayPerrine
Jake,
Sorry to hear about your power problem. If they admitted to causing the issue, the I would go after them to replace the computers. Problem is, this is a public utility. They can tell you to go to hell and not supply you with power.

Good luck. If you need computer advice, let me know.

tdgray
Sorry to hear that Jake ohmy.gif

Had a similar thing happen at me last company.... only it was a lightening strike. Killed everything, computers, telephone, paint mixing equipment. Total bill $65,000.

DNHunt
Damn Jake, sorry to hear about that. I hope you got backup. These days the hardware's cheap but data is priceless. Somehow I think you got it covered and we'll see it back on line soon.

Good Luck

Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 2 2005, 09:49 AM)
Come out this morning and ALL BUT ONE computer is zapped, all the printers are zapped and even the telephones!!!

ohmy.gif i guess we won't be talking on the phone today ...

man, that sucks ...
unsure.gif Andy
LongARM
Ouch...bad break Jake
sorry to here that....
thank god your O.K..
whewww beerchug.gif
MattR
Last year a power line broke behind our house (the cable running into the transformer... fell off) and caused a fire in the corner of our garage. The electric company came out and told us to give them a quote of the damage and they paid for the entire thing. I mean it was 100% their fault, but they did pay for everything.
Jake Raby
We changed a couple of power supply's and got two computers back up- the rest are done.... smoked.

I got all my data back, and got the store software all restored on a laptop so at least the store can run, and we did not lose our inventory or store database...... Thank god Rebecca backs that up everynight to a memory stick!.

So far the power company has been very compliant, one of my customers is an engineer there so he got me in touch with "the man" as soon as this happened.

What pisses me off the most is that it fried the weather station for the dyno.... I have an engine on the dyno that I wanted to ship today too, and the weather is the best we have had in weeks!!!
ppickerell
Between this and the lightning strike, I would recommend that you stop touching yourself down there. huh.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Aug 2 2005, 03:12 PM)
Between this and the lightning strike, I would recommend that you stop touching yourself down there. huh.gif

Kent.... Kent.... Hello this is Jesus. wink.gif

Sorry obscure movie reference...again rolleyes.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 2 2005, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Aug 2 2005, 03:12 PM)

Kent.... Kent.... Hello this is Jesus. wink.gif

Sorry obscure movie reference...again rolleyes.gif

It is god!!

I need some jiffy-pop. biggrin.gif
DougC
Are you sure this isn't related in some way with the lightning coming through the same shop and striking you a few months ago..seems strange that you have so much electrical related "incidents" there.

Doug C
skline
Wow, does that mean my order for a complete engine with DTM dyno'ed at 280HP that I paid for and everything last night is gone? Now what am I going to do?

Good luck getting everything back up and running. I do a lot of remote backups for companies and have never lost any data due to a server going down or power failures. I guess I have been lucky as I know it does happen. Sorry to hear about your equipment though, that will leave a mark.
tommy914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Aug 2 2005, 11:49 AM)

I had back up UPS's and surge protection, and nothing helped-...

Jake,
Were any of the UPS's or surge protectors by APC?
They usually have a protection guaranty that is worth some dollars.

Jake Raby
Yeah...
I have been plagued by electrical issues this year!

Last week a transformer blew and zapped us out for a day, with no other damage.... Luckily..

The report for the rest of my gear this time around is not good... I have a notebook page FILLED with destroyed components with serialization and parts numbers wrote down waiting for the claim person from Georgia Power to come check things out tomorrow.

I took apart one of the UPS units and found the wires totally melted inside it, seems there was so much voltage that it simply bridged the connections and was asically worthless... It even zapped the A/C adaptor for this laptop and it would not charge.... I cut the cord off of and spliced the connector for this laptop onto an old one from an ancient laptop and got back in business.

This has been hell- Easily 20K in damage, and a totally lost day in the engine shop for me..... All while I'm building a runoffs engine and the last thing I need is a distraction..

Thank god the balancer was unplugged- that would have been another 30K for someone to absorb!
ChrisFoley
WOW, that sucks! ohmy.gif
Glad to hear the big equipment wasn't involved.

BTW, Fedex delivered that pulley today at 2pm. clap.gif
spunone
Hope ya get back up soon .The only time I lose power here is when the hamsters get tired and quit running.Just hope your power company don't try and jerk ya around sheeplove.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.