Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking Speedo Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
This past Sunday I replaced the speedo drive in my 72
and even thought I was very cautious, I managed to strip
the threads in the rear case for the lockdown bolt. headbang.gif

Anyone here done this and have any temporary fixes
to prevent the drive from coming out of the case? I know that I'll need to repair the case with a heli-coli insert, I'm looking for a fix until that time comes.

Thanks!
ClayPerrine
I hate to tell you this, but there is no "temporary" fix for the stripped threads. Go to your FLAPS and get a 8mm x1.25 helicoil kit. Then remove your muffler and the boomerang (aka muffler support). Carefully install the helicoil per the package directions. Then reinstall the speedo drive and the bolt.

Good luck!
STL914
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 2 2005, 09:03 AM)
I hate to tell you this, but there is no "temporary" fix for the stripped threads. Go to your FLAPS and get a 8mm x1.25 helicoil kit. Then remove your muffler and the boomerang (aka muffler support). Carefully install the helicoil per the package directions. Then reinstall the speedo drive and the bolt.

Good luck!

Clay, can the heli-coil be installed without removing the rear
tranny cover? How do you prevent shavings from the drill bit from getting in the tranny?
lapuwali
Grease the tap, and go slowly.
jr91472
won't he have to remove the speedo drive first? confused24.gif

If true, then he will have to drain the gear oil. Any bits of metal should fall out the hole vacated by the speedo drive. I think......
John
I had to "repair" one like that once.

I drained the gear lube and removed the speedo drive and stuck a shop rag in the hole where the speedo drive went to catch shavings.

I slowly drilled out the hole using the helicoil drill and tapped it with the helicoil tap (with grease in the flutes).

Be careful to stop the insertion of the helicoil before it penetrates into the speedo drive hole or you will be sorry.

I red locktited the helicoil into the trans cover to keep the insert in place. Once the insert is installed you need to break off the "tang" used to install the helicoil. A sharp blow with an appropriately sized punch works well for this.

Once the helicoil is installed and the locktite has cured, remove the shop rag and insure any shavings are removed prior to reassembly.

I wish you the best of luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.