Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie question: Custom vs original...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chromatech
As I announced a few days ago, I just acquired a "73 1.7L (my first). I've alloted 1 year to do the resto. I have access to most of a parts car that belongs to a friend.

Is there any real advantage to keeping this car completely stock? I'm thinking in terms of resale value later on.

I will post post pics later on but to give you an idea of what I have:

'73 1.7
Just purchased from the original owner with 50k
Chrome Yellow (original paint) will require very little exterior body work....only a couple of minor flaws.
Optional appearance group, chrome, alloys etc.
Stock and Saratoga targa tops

The bad: The car has been sitting in storage for 23 years and to the best of my knowledge the motor has not been turned over for at least 10 years.

I would like to hear your opinions on the stock vs custom debate.

Thanks

Todd
914GT
Here's how I look at it.... if I came across a 914 in good original condition I'd want to restore it and keep it stock. This means a car that has minor or no rust, interior that's pretty much complete and original, and a repairable/rebuildable engine. But a car that needs major rust repairs, has a trashed interior, needs major paint/body work, or otherwise on the way to being a parts car - to me that's a prime candidate for some customizing and maybe a V8 conversion.
MoveQik
QUOTE (914GT @ Aug 2 2005, 09:36 AM)
Here's how I look at it.... if I came across a 914 in good original condition I'd want to restore it and keep it stock. This means a car that has minor or no rust, interior that's pretty much complete and original, and a repairable/rebuildable engine. But a car that needs major rust repairs, has a trashed interior, needs major paint/body work, or otherwise on the way to being a parts car - to me that's a prime candidate for some customizing and maybe a V8 conversion.

agree.gif
There aren't too many unmolested cars out there. So if I found one, I would try to keep it stock. There are plenty of "not-so-nice" cars out there that you can heavily modify. That's my .02.
markb
I agree with 914GT. If it's an unmolested car, which it sounds like it is, I would leave it stock. There are so few left out there, it's a shame to change them. There are tons of cars to do conversions with. Unfortunately, unless it's an absolutely beautiful car, resale is going to be pretty much on a par with the rest of the worlds' 914's. Which basically means, don't expect to get your money out of it once it's done. Prices are going up, but IMHO, not ever going to equal the investment. If you're looking for something to hot rod or modify, you might consider selling this one and buying one more like what you're wanting. Just my .02.
Mark Henry
I disagree a bit...There's quite a few "mods" that can be done that are reversible, i.e. The engine, exhaust, bolt ons like a front air dam, etc....

It's your car, so it's your call...I personaly like stock looking cars with a beefed engine wink.gif

Don't like ricer or hacky mods. barf.gif
LongARM
keep it as original as possible.......... happy11.gif

where are you located .????
Chromatech
I guess I had already unconciously made the decision to keep it stock......at least on the the cosmetic side

Unlike some of the cars that I have seen others restore, it isn't somone's second or third hand project car. There are no hack jobs to redo/undo.

The car had been dealer maintained up until the day it was stored. But it has been sitting (indoors in darkness) for 20 +years and I know it will require a lot of work & $ to bring it back.

The idea of more power appeals to me but thats more$ and how far can you go to improve performance before it's no longer considered "stock"?

BTW I'm located in Brockville

Thanks for the input!

Todd

LongARM
Welcome to the club.....
more Canadian members wandering in....lol

check under the battery , check the right rear suspension console...die from sitting to long..
good luck...
restore um.......don't crush um..... beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Just noticed you're from Brockville...plan on being at my show on the 21st!
See the link on the bottom of my post.

A bunch of 914 guys will be there and a few vendors as well.

The idea of more power appeals to me but thats more$ and how far can you go to improve performance before it's no longer considered "stock"?

How fast can you afford to go? happy11.gif

T4 can be bumped quite a bit...you can do a different engine and keep your "correct" engine in storage. No mods needed to be done to the car.
MattR
My opinion: its a 73 1.7, not the most expensive of 914s. I'd make it a fun car. A low milage 1.7 is a perfect place to start for a fun car. Bump up the displacement (2056? 2270?), have fun with the suspension (5 lug?), and do what you want to the body. These are 914s.
tat2dphreak
'73 1.7
Just purchased from the original owner with 50k
Chrome Yellow (original paint) will require very little exterior body work....only a couple of minor flaws.
Optional appearance group, chrome, alloys etc.
Stock and Saratoga targa tops

The bad: The car has been sitting in storage for 23 years and to the best of my knowledge the motor has not been turned over for at least 10 years.

with a description like that, I would try and keep it as stock as possible. keep it type 4 and Raby can get you 180+hp cheaper than a /6 there's also a GREAT deal on a 2270 in the classifieds...

stock looks, type 4 engine, and you'd have a NICE car!

in the end, it's your car... do what you want though
LongARM
" it's better to burn-out, than it is too rust" (Neil Young)

w00t.gif
Chromatech
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 2 2005, 12:19 PM)
Just noticed you're from Brockville...plan on being at my show on the 21st!
See the link on the bottom of my post.

T4 can be bumped quite a bit...you can do a different engine and keep your "correct" engine in storage. No mods needed to be done to the car.

Hi Mark,

I had already planned on going, I'll be driving up with Yves (I believe you know him). I'll be driving the support vehicle with all the spares driving.gif

I'm not sure how much I'm willing to spend yet....I'll wait until I've taken a good look at the 1.7. Depending on what needs to be done, it might be worthwhile to "bump" the engine.

Todd

Midtowner
My car was in storage for 16 years and in very good condition. My father kept the mods to bolt-on's only. I plan to do the same. A Jake Raby engine sounds like a great idea! Hope this helps. biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Chromatech @ Aug 2 2005, 04:31 PM)
[I had already planned on going, I'll be driving up with Yves (I believe you know him). I'll be driving the support vehicle with all the spares driving.gif

COOL! aktion035.gif
Andyrew
I personally am un-able to keep any car stock. If theres a way to make it better.... I will do it, or try to at least...

Thats just me..... driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.