Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Can this really cut 14 gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkos
Saw this on Harbor Freight. Can this really cut 14ga? How clean does it cut?

I'm looking for something to cut sheetmetal with. Nothing fancy, just straight cuts. Would this work better than my portable jigsaw?

914GT
I have an air-powered version of it. It cuts 18 gauge steel fine, but I have not tried 14. There is a trick to using these things for them to work well, otherwise they are a pain in the a$$ and they suck.
TravisNeff
QUOTE (914GT @ Aug 2 2005, 10:07 AM)
I have an air-powered version of it. It cuts 18 gauge steel fine, but I have not tried 14. There is a trick to using these things for them to work well, otherwise they are a pain in the a$$ and they suck.

agree.gif It takes some finesse, I haven't used my air shear enough to be OK with it. However, electric over air power (I don't have a big compressor) is a great way to go!
914GT
Actually the air version doesn't take a lot of air, as compared to a DA sander or cutoff tool. I use the shear with the metal laying on an old piece of cut pile carpet. If you just cut it on the bare floor or workbench the shear's blades bind up. But the carpet keeps it flat but lets the blades slip underneath easily. Then it cuts great.
TravisNeff
I'll try that carpet trick next time!
tdgray
I have used shears as well as cut-off tools.

Cuts offs win hands down. Shears bind, will only cut in straight... and I do mean straight line. You get off one mm and you then widening the cut to straighten it out.

If lack of air power is your problem, get an electric die grinder 4 1/2 with cut off wheels. It will work twice as good and you can cut curves etc.

Get a light one...easier on the forearms.
dkos
All I'm trying to do is cut a straight line...
TravisNeff
Straight lines, shoot for the angle grinder and cutoff wheels. I have a helluva lot more control than with shears. With shears some parts of the cut feels like I am just alog for the ride.
aircooledboy
I actually like the shears. confused24.gif

When I was in the auto glass trade, I installed hundreds of aftermarket sunroofs and conversion windows. I used the electric shears almost exclusively. I cut oval holes with about a 2 inch radius corner, and never screwed one up.

Jeff mentioned feeling like he was just "along for the ride" with the shears sometimes. laugh.gif I remember that feeling. ohmy.gif I learned pretty quick that the key is to place the hand you are not using to hold the shears on the front outside of the cutting head. That allows you to use the outer edge of your palm as a brake and a guide to keep you on line. Always worked like a charm for me.
914GT
To me they're just another tool in the arsenal. The shears work great on a clean new piece of oiled 20 gauge mild sheet steel. You can quickly cut out a patch panel and get a clean cut. Old dirty metal, or something not flat, time to whip out the cutoff tool or air/electric saw. I use whatever does the job the best. If I had my way I'd have one of each kind of cutting tool. I regret selling a heavy duty metal shear I used to have. Just didn't have room for it at the time.
lcato
HarborFreight

I have the 16 GAUGE AIR NIBBLER and it works great
Engman
Typically you should chose a tool that is rated higher than what you really want to cut. Yes - these will cut 14G - but prolly not for too long or too well. I prefer the cutoff wheel for small complex one-off pieces I need right away.

You get what you pay for.

M
URY914
If you decide to get shears, get a name brand.
You'll burn that motor up cutting cheese.

P wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.