Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Boot Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pthughes
Any tips or tricks to install the shift rod boot? I have lost an hour struggling to get the forward end to go around on the lip which protrudes from the firewall...its such a small lip ...no worries on fitting it to the shift rod lip...

Just thought I would see if there is an 'approved method'

Van B
It’s easy with the right technique. But it is all technique.

1. Seat the bottom in the lip on the firewall
2. Take the top half with both hands with and overhand grip
3. With your fingers on the edge of the boot and your thumbs on the outside roll the lip of the boot slightly inside out while pushing tension upward
4. Stretch the boot outward and upward until it covers the firewall lip and the let it slide through your fingers unroll and catch the firewall lip.
emerygt350
Oh the horror. Step three is the critical part. I think I have PTSD from that
bkrantz
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 19 2022, 07:28 PM) *

That might explain the 45 minute blank in my memory when I installed the shift rod.
Van B
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 19 2022, 09:28 PM) *

Y’all are gonna make me jinx myself, but I was on a streak for a while when I did the motor mounts and then the shift bushings lol
wonkipop
strong fingers required.

shift boot not as bad as trying to push fuel line grommet through front firewall.

headbang.gif
Van B
I think rolling that edge really reduces the effort
IronHillRestorations
Early or late?
Geezer914
Just did mine the other day while laying upside down under the car. caught the lip on the bottom, then rotated the boot while pushing on the edges. Finally managed to get it on. Clean any crud out of the lip so it has something to grab on to. Installed the front of the boot on the shift rod rolling the edge with a dental pic. Lots of %&^##*@!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.