Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to maintain/repair on an original survivor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
...I bought from my original owner Dad in 2002 with 41K mi. and have been driving it since, now with 58K miles. It has been to 5 Okteenerfests among other events, and some members here have seen this very clean car. I'm wondering what remains of near 50 yr. old lubricants, and what should I be most concerned about replacing? I've replaced shocks/springs, injectors/ and other necessary items, but now am thinking about old lube in CVs, bearings, and other rolling parts. I can do most maintenance wrenching, but hate to disturb working systems, if it ain't broke should I fix it. What should be the priorities here? huh.gif
930cabman
First reaction is to leave well enough alone and enjoy.

Great example smilie_pokal.gif

Not many of these around
Superhawk996
Keep fluids (engine oil & trans lube) changed on regular interval and keep valves adjusted.

Brake Fluid is you biggest contamination from time perspective. Brake fluid is constantly absorbing environmental moisture even through that tiny vent hole in the reservoir cap. I'd replace it with a complete flush every 3-4 years.

I wouldn't sweat the grease too much. Over time it tends to get hard/waxy and loses lubricity. If you haven't run into issues in the last 16K miles you're not likely to have failure now so not a high priority action item. Rear wheel bearings are sealed for life and when they begin to fail you'll know it and will get plenty of advance warning. Front wheel bearings are a regular maintenance item (adjust & lube).

For the rest of the components. . . deal with as needed. Drive & enjoy!
burlybryan
Really the only thing "necessary" is to replace the original plastic fuel lines and any old rubber fuel lines in the engine compartment. Preventing a fire is paramount in our old cars.
Jamie
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Apr 21 2022, 11:14 AM) *

Really the only thing "necessary" is to replace the original plastic fuel lines and any old rubber fuel lines in the engine compartment. Preventing a fire is paramount in our old cars.

I replaced all fuel lines when replacing injectors and moving pump to the frunk several years ago. Replaced master cylinder, brake lines, serviced calipers and pads many years ago as well, just trying to keep "Dad's Mistress" in greatest possible "original"driving condition. She still has original factory Delphi Green L99A paint on the battery tray, but exterior body was repainted about 5 yrs. ago. Old clearcoat was cracking, and my body guy did an absolute great job! :headbanger:But I still believe her to be "mostly original!"
Krieger
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
StarBear
first.gif Yay!
Jamie
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 21 2022, 12:40 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

OK, here are some pictures.
windforfun
My plastic fuel lines are still soft & flexible. The car is a "73 with 48K miles. Go figure. Did Porsche use different materials for these lines depending upon the logistics & timing of the assembly process?

BTW, I did replace the "rubber" tubing at the gas tank, fuel pump, & fuel injectors (IIRC). I also replaced the fuel pump & it's rubber mounts. That was a PITA since this really takes two people, but I managed to do it solo. It would have been much easier if my arms were twice as long. I hate working with gasoline. BTW, sweet car!!!

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
wonkipop
@windforfun .

no - re materials on fuel lines. from 70-74. all used same clear plastic with a stainless steel end up near the tank.

factory changed them when they shifted fuel pump to front to a high pressure fuel hose material.

you would be unusual in having still flexible lines all the way from the tank to the pump if the pump is still in the area under the engine bay.
i have a car, of similar mileage to you and which didn't do much for 16 of the last 18 years. the lines where they emerge from the tunnel and travel across the passenger compartment firewall to the fuel pump location are the vulnerable area. subject to radiant heat from the fan housing casting. thats the risky part. also the little lengths of plastic line in the engine bay. these get cooked a bit too. not as bad as section under the car though.

i pulled mine out two years ago. all the stuff in the tunnel was fine. still almost factory new. the stuff exposed was not something i wanted to risk running fuel through anymore.

@Jamie

great looking car.

about the only thing i can think of might be to take a look at CV joints and see if they need repacking. i did mine. similar story to your car. brake fluid change as per superhawk suggestion. rest of it - don't fix something that ain't broke. but maybe pay attention to all fuel lines.

enjoy the car. its beautiful. beerchug.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 21 2022, 05:07 PM) *

@windforfun .

no - re materials on fuel lines. from 70-74. all used same clear plastic with a stainless steel end up near the tank.

factory changed them when they shifted fuel pump to front to a high pressure fuel hose material.

you would be unusual in having still flexible lines all the way from the tank to the pump if the pump is still in the area under the engine bay.
i have a car, of similar mileage to you and which didn't do much for 16 of the last 18 years. the lines where they emerge from the tunnel and travel across the passenger compartment firewall to the fuel pump location are the vulnerable area. subject to radiant heat from the fan housing casting. thats the risky part. also the little lengths of plastic line in the engine bay. these get cooked a bit too. not as bad as section under the car though.

i pulled mine out two years ago. all the stuff in the tunnel was fine. still almost factory new. the stuff exposed was not something i wanted to risk running fuel through anymore.

@Jamie

great looking car.

about the only thing i can think of might be to take a look at CV joints and see if they need repacking. i did mine. similar story to your car. brake fluid change as per superhawke suggestion. rest of it - don't fix something that ain't broke. but maybe pay attention to all fuel lines.

enjoy the car. its beautiful. beerchug.gif

Yes. Still soft & flexible all the way (fuel tank, tunnel, & engine bay). I've been ALL through this car to the tune of hundreds of hours. Maybe it was the Astroglide that leaked onto the lines while having sex with my wife. I guess I got lucky, as Clint Eastwood would say.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
bkrantz
Trans lube?

And given the recent thread about wiper linkage corrosion, maybe trying to get some grease into the shafts?
930cabman
Great looking example, thanks for posting pics.
Enjoy her in good health
emerygt350
I am really embracing my mechanics advice to me. Pretty much "how I learned to stop worrying and love the 914".

Sure, there are things that should be fixed, but as long as it starts and is fun every day, and my fun isn't making the car fall apart, whatever. Somebody else can obsess over my new custom fuel pump holder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.