Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pressure 1970 1.7L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tking327
Got a '70 914 1.7L 6 months ago. has spark (new plugs) and runs on starter fluid. Had been decades since it ran on gas i can tell from crumbled lines i replaced and that i had to soak cylinders in oil to unfreeze presumably rusted piston rings. Compression tested in 90 to 120 range across 4 cylinders. Replaced all fuel lines from front to back and installed a new to me (rebuilt) 3 port OEM pump and new filter. Two of the 4 injectors are new and the other two original--i cleaned those by soaking in gas. Got it to run very breifly (nice loud roar) with air filter and all vacuum lines disconnected, but shut it off as a small fire started at one old injector (I put it out immediately). replaced the bad injector and one other leaking one. Now I cant get it to run. All 4 injectors deliver gas so qualitatively the brain seems good, but volume of gas was way low like 1 mL per injector in 15 second crank. I had checked this in the fall and it seemed like better flow then. I never did any kit clean on the tank so now wondering if filter became clogged?

I checked fuel pressure. It was about 22 psi when cranking. When i stop cranking it the pressure bleeds to zero in a 5 seconds. I then spotted a very very slight leak in one of the 2 old injectors; leaking out of body of injector, not the hose attachment point. Not even enough leaking to drip just a thin film on outside of injector body. Suppose I will just replace the two remaining old injectors now. But would such a slow leak prevent me from getting the desired 30 psi to start or be the cause of such rapid pressure drop? I can spot no other fuel leaks.

When trying to start, do I need to have the air cleaner and all vacuum hoses connected or should it run at least for a little bit with everything off?

I am a newbie as you can tell, so thanks!

emerygt350
Have you checked out the fuel pressure regulator? Have you tried raising it there? Are you buying the new fj114s? It should idle on 22 psi regardless.
Tking327
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 24 2022, 11:14 AM) *

Have you checked out the fuel pressure regulator? Have you tried raising it there? Are you buying the new fj114s? It should idle on 22 psi regardless.

Yes the fj114. I have not yet tried raising the pressure at the regulator- will try and report back
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.