Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shifter seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Car leaks….surprise

I’m seeing a fresh drip of oil coming off the bottom of the shifter console, side shifter

Must I remove the console to find and fix this, or can I replace a seal from outside?

I remember the o-ring that seals the shifter console itself, but I have no memory of a seal at the shifter rod itself.

This is a resurrection of a car that has sat for 20 years.
I already have a box of rubber from 914rubber to do all the oil seals, pushrod seals, fuel lines etc.
Seems the tranny might be leaking instead….

Rich
Dave_Darling
You must remove the console to fix it.

There is an O-ring that goes around the outside of where the console goes through the case. There are also seals between the shift selector rod and the console. Though if the latter fail, you tend to fill up the plastic cover before it starts to drip.

--DD
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 24 2022, 03:15 PM) *

Though if the latter fail, you tend to fill up the plastic cover before it starts to drip.

--DD

Been there, done that.

School of hard knocks. Pre-internet era. Went to remove cover to adjust linkage cone screw. Poured that stank soup of gear oil and water all over myself. hissyfit.gif

r_towle

There is an O-ring that goes around the outside of where the console goes through the case. There are also seals between the shift selector rod and the console. Though if the latter fail, you tend to fill up the plastic cover before it starts to drip.

--DD

Thankfully the cover is off, or tipped open.
Seals between shift selector?
Are these press in or easy to do?

I bet the thing is empty, but I will be ready for whatever is left.

Yeehah
Chaznaster

--DD

agree.gif Remove and replace with new rings/ seals is a pretty easy job. In fact, for me, easier than expected/
r_towle
As always, thank you!
Gotta go put another order together for more seals
anderssj
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Apr 24 2022, 06:37 PM) *

--DD

agree.gif Remove and replace with new rings/ seals is a pretty easy job. In fact, for me, easier than expected/

agree.gif x2

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was. Good time to check/replace any worn bushings and etc.
dcecc1968
Hmmm… I recently replaced my shift rod cone screw and noticed a little gear oil in the plastic cover. Anyone have a photo of the console that needs to be removed? Is that simply the shaft?
Dave_Darling
The "console" is the piece that holds the castle bushing, and the gear selector shaft, and the cover. It is held onto the bottom/side of the gearbox housing with two nuts (M8/13mm wrench if I recall correctly).

The gear selector shaft has a rake on one side and a ball stud on the other, both held on by roll pins. Drive out one roll pin, take the piece on that side of the console off, slide the shaft out the other side, and then pry out the old bushings/seals and install new ones. (This assumes you have already removed the console and dumped all your gear oil out.)

--DD
r_towle
Make sure car is in neutral before removing shifter console.
When re-installing, make sure all the notches in the tranny shifter rods line up , which shows you are in neutral.

Redbeard wrote a good article on this at Pelican.
There is also a good thread with pictures on Pelican, again redbeard commenting.
All of that is circa 2010 ish
dcecc1968
Thanks fellas!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.