Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are those parts?! 1974 1,8l car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TRS63
Hello,

I am slowly getting in the direction of putting things back on my 1974 1,8l and I have those parts that were either connected (I have pictures of them mounted, and can put them back but I want to know what they are!) or there but not connected to anything (so probably not needed but who knows !)
Here the pictures :
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks a lot for your inputs !

Antoine
wonkipop
second one is the decel valve. right hand side of engine bay. there is a little plate it fixes to.

bottom one is a fuel filter. if pump was under engine would have been in inlet line to pump. there are some little metal tabs that are welded to side of longitudinal that it clips into.

the first one is a mystery to me. is it from engine bay? i don't think i have ever noticed it before on my car (1,8).
TRS63
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 25 2022, 12:55 AM) *

second one is the decel valve. right hand side of engine bay. there is a little plate it fixes to.

bottom one is a fuel filter. if pump was under engine would have been in inlet line to pump. there are some little metal tabs that are welded to side of longitudinal that it clips into.

the first one is a mystery to me. is it from engine bay? i don't think i have ever noticed it before on my car (1,8).

Thanks a lot for the fast answer!

The first one was mounted on the battery tray. But not connected to anything. I don't know how it came here..well, that will go away!

Thanks

Antoine
dlee6204
The first one is the resistor pack that's required when running L-Jet fuel injection that came stock on 1.8L cars.
wonkipop
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Apr 25 2022, 01:53 AM) *

The first one is the resistor pack that's required when running L-Jet fuel injection that came stock on 1.8L cars.

ah yeah. next to double relay.
for some reason it only looks half as big as it really is when TRS63 is holding it in his hands. and its not shiny.

what did the PO do with your car TRS. shot the engine bay and everything in black paint?

you can tell i have never taken my resistor pack off to look behind it! beer.gif

thats a bit you are going to need for sure. smile.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Apr 25 2022, 01:19 AM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 25 2022, 12:55 AM) *

Thanks a lot for the fast answer!

The first one was mounted on the battery tray. But not connected to anything. I don't know how it came here..well, that will go away!

Thanks

Antoine

i really took 18 hours to answer that question but you think its a quarter of an hour. a trick of time and space due to the international dateline. beer.gif

TRS63
Thanks a lot, now Il know what to do with these parts smile.gif

Bests

Antoine
Dave_Darling
Looks like the connector on the resistor pack is pretty beat up. You might look into replacing it. Jeff Bowlsby might have or know where to get it.

--DD
TRS63
Well, I am now into the rebuilding process (and will update my thread accordingly :-) ) and have two more questions that might fit here instead of creating a new topic unsure.gif I made a lot of pictures from disassembly but of course, there are still always missing pictures..

1. I have this connector next to the battery tray:
IPB Image

Cable is Green/black..where should it connect?

2. It does sound stupid but well..I couldn't find the cable connecting on the upper spade of the starter here that give the impuls to start:
IPB Image

I looked everywhere but couldn't see it huh.gif unsure.gif where does it come from? Relay box? Wiring? I can't see it ?!

Thanks

Antoine
wonkipop

connects to cylinder head temp sensor.
in mine it is in the loom and pops out near the cht.
yours might be hanging around seeming on its own because the loom is not in its casing any more? thats what i think. though its a white cable on mine. maybe yours got oversprayed by PO or something. the connector is def the cht one and i don't have any other connector like that over there going anywhere else. least i don't remember one and i can't see one other than the cht.

can't help with #2 unless i crawl under car.

keep up the good work.
Shivers
Pretty sure there is only one wire plugged in there.
Van B
#1 remains unplugged unless you have a center console. CHT wire is on the back firewall.
Dave_Darling
The wire is in the wrong place and is the wrong colors for the head temp sensor. As Van B said, it's for the oil temperature sensor. If one is installed. It would be in the center console if so.

There is only one wire that connects to the flag terminals on the starter. It's a fat yellow (or yellow with red stripe) wire, and it carries the "start the car now" signal. The other terminals are actually extras, at least in a 914.

--DD
TRS63
Thanks so much for the help smile.gif

Well hopefully the car will then start next week biggrin.gif

Antoine
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ May 13 2022, 09:12 AM) *

#1 remains unplugged unless you have a center console. CHT wire is on the back firewall.

interesting. CHT wire on mine pops out of the EFI loom. i wouldn't call it the back firewall. comes out round about near #3, loom lies on top of side engine tin trim.

i found that other connector after almost inverting in engine bay smile.gif was tucked up out of way behind the EFI relays.
bright green wire. would never have spotted it in a 1000 years hidden away there since year dot.

whats the deal with it, do you have to run a wire up from a temp sensor style sump plate and plug into that if you want to do a temp gauge? beerchug.gif

---
yes. on starter. as per DD - its yellow.
Van B
Checks @wonkipop . I wasn't giving a full talk on. Just trying to redirect attention from the incorrect call-out in the preceding posts.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ May 13 2022, 02:52 PM) *

Checks @wonkipop . I wasn't giving a full talk on. Just trying to redirect attention from the incorrect call-out in the preceding posts.

no worries. now i know about an incognito wire that had been hiding for years up out of the way where some german shoved it 50 years ago.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.