Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What color is Marathon Blue Metallic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
When I search for "Marathon Blue Metallic" I get a bunch of variations from a dull gray to a light blue.

Click to view attachment

Is this just a trick of the lighting?

Thanks.

George
Superhawk996
All of them look like Marathon Blue to me.

Tritanopia? Blue color blindness ? it's a very rare condition but none of them look grey to me. confused24.gif

In all seriousness, I think it's the lighting perception in photos (especially the top right corner). Always looks pretty blue to me in real life.
Jamie
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Apr 25 2022, 05:29 AM) *

When I search for "Marathon Blue Metallic" I get a bunch of variations from a dull gray to a light blue.

Click to view attachment

Thanks.

George

Accurate reproduction of colors has a world of possible variables, including light sources, color balance accuracy of recording and reproduction devices, etc.
Dion
It’s so dependent on lighting. This is a recent restoration in Marathon. Paint applied this past October. Just another example for ya.
FlacaProductions
some more examples:
https://www.rennbow.org/porsche-colors/MarathoneBlueMetallic
dr914@autoatlanta.com
maybe described as silver with a blue tint. TOO many over the years have miss mixed paint, and or do not have the correct spray technique AND OR use inferior paint with a bad mixing formula. To be sure use Sikkens or Glasurit paint, they are the closest to the factory

QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Apr 25 2022, 06:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks.

George

Root_Werks
@KELTY360 here has a Marathon Blue 914 and it looks amazing in person. Lighting makes a huge difference. Some angles there is more blue than others and in certain light, almost looks silver. Maybe he'll post a pic?
ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Lighting has a lot to do with color reproduction. Here are some shots from the repaint of my car 10 years ago.

Painted bumpers and door in the paint booth:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

After assembly in sunlight:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dion
WTF.gif PCA has the wrong paint code under the Rennbow.
Should be L96M. They list Irish green code. Sent them an email.
See if that’s corrected. dry.gif
Dion
Car looks great Marc!
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 25 2022, 11:18 AM) *

WTF.gif PCA has the wrong paint code under the Rennbow.
Should be L96M. They list Irish green code. Sent them an email.
See if that’s corrected. dry.gif

Good catch - I searched by name, not code so it still showed up.
Dion
Ha! PCA responded and corrected it. Amazing when that happens.
Thanks peeps.
GeorgeKopf
Wow. This thread has been very enlightening. I really like the Marathon Blue Metallic.

My top choices are (in order):
1. Marathon Blue Metallic
Click to view attachment
2. Gemini Blue Metallic
Click to view attachment
3. Alaska Blue Metallic
Click to view attachment
4. Ancona Blue Metallic
Click to view attachment

Since my car is a '74, the Alaska and Marathon are correct for the year.

George
Cairo94507
Keeping in the spectrum, how about Adriatic Blue - that was one of the top 3 choices for my car. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
L-Jet914
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Apr 25 2022, 06:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks.

George

Marathon Blue Metallic is a really silver blue. It seems to shift colors depending on the lighting. One day I hope to have the 914 my father purchased new in 74 to be painted back to the original L96M. It's currently more of a sky blue due to a repaint in the 80s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.