Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get under your car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I want to adjust my clutch cable but my car is a bit lower than stock and I don't have a way to jack it up in my apartment parking area.

I see that Walmart has "Rhino Ramps" for about $60 and Amazon has "Race Ramps" for $300. Any experience with these?
emerygt350
If you are up to it, just drive the passenger side up onto a curb. Cheap and all your neighbors will respect you. Or at least they should. Just make sure you are really on the curb or grass, not dangling.
Jack Standz
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Oh man, that hurts to even look at. For what you need,just the passenger side. Our cars have the transmission where it belongs, our engines go the 'right' way.
rhodyguy
Downtown Seattle iirc. The curb thing would not go over so well. OP, do your CCRs prohibit working on vehicles in the garage? On street DT parking is a bit of a rareity. If you can find it, it's for a very short duration. A decent floor jack is a better option than driveup ramps. Esp in a lowered 914.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 25 2022, 02:42 PM) *

Downtown Seattle iirc. The curb thing would not go over so well. OP, do your CCRs prohibit working on vehicles in the garage? On street DT parking is a bit of a rareity. If you can find it, it's for a very short duration. A decent floor jack is a better option than driveup ramps. Esp in a lowered 914.

Yes, I'd prefer to do this in the parking garage because there are too many addicts and mentally ill people out on the streets around here. Also the streets and gutters are wet a good portion of the time.

I was thinking ramp rather than floor jack because I'm not 100% sure about the rust situation on this car.
emerygt350
Oh man, crazy onlookers are the whole reason to suck it up and curb it!

Jacks are heavy and annoying and you shouldn't ever crawl under a car with only the jack. Buy a cheap plastic ramp from a flaps. They will be easy to haul back into the apartment or the frunck.

However, if your car is too low, you may have issues getting on the ramp.
BillJ
Recommend the rhino ramp. Available and cheap. Dont spend the race ramp dollars for this kind if use. I own both and would totally suggest the rhinos for that. Alternatively you can jack it up and use jack stand. Remove wheel for ease of access.
brubou
My car is very low and I used to put 2 foot sections of 2x6 in front of the ramps with the edge cut at the same bevel as the ramp so there wasn't any gap. Otherwise my valance would just push the ramps down the street. Get it up on the wood, line up the ramps and it should go right up from there without much hassle.
GregAmy
Build ramped/stagged sections of 2x6s. Put a rope handle on them for carriage to and fro. Easy, cheap.

Or these:

https://www.raceramps.com/c/garage-service/
Steve
Most major cities have places that will rent you a spot by the hour or day with tools and a lift. Otherwise, it’s a floor jack, jack stands or ramps. I used a floor jack to get my car on the ramps. Harbor freight has small floor jacks and jack stands that will easily store in your trunk.
Shivers
Before I had a floor jack and stands I would pull up to the egress of my driveway, parallel to the curb, and put one then two tires on the curb as I pulled up. It was good for clutch cable and stuff. Valve adjustment I had to back it up on the curb to get the other side. It worked until I tooled up properly.
PanelBilly
You need to learn about Stews Garage. There’s one in Kirkland and he’s getting ready to open one in Auburn soon. You rent a bay with all the tools you can imagine. I’ve used it several times and the price is very reasonable.
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 26 2022, 06:37 AM) *

You need to learn about Stews Garage. There’s one in Kirkland and he’s getting ready to open one in Auburn soon. You rent a bay with all the tools you can imagine. I’ve used it several times and the price is very reasonable.

Oh! I found it here: https://stewsgarage.com/car-lift-rental/

The fact that they have tools is perfect for my situation.
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 26 2022, 09:37 AM) *

I just looked them up. Prices seem very reasonable for what they offer.
seanpaulmc
Ramps work.
Photo for reference.

Click to view attachment

mlindner
Yup, love rhino ramps....
MM1
After looking at pictures of rhino ramps that have cracked, and looking very closely at their design, I picked up a set of ramps from Harbor Freight which appear like the ones in the picture above with the oval hole in the side.

They have been sturdy and functional for me, but they don’t raise the car enough for me to get much of anything done underneath.
r_towle
QUOTE(98101 @ Apr 25 2022, 05:22 PM) *

I want to adjust my clutch cable but my car is a bit lower than stock and I don't have a way to jack it up in my apartment parking area.

I see that Walmart has "Rhino Ramps" for about $60 and Amazon has "Race Ramps" for $300. Any experience with these?

Do it blind, fix it by feel
Get used to it, the 914 requires feel but no looking
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.