Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Least Favorite 914 Jobs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
My current nominee is installing new targa top and window rubber seals, and getting everything to line up.
Root_Werks
All new seals are a PITA. My most recent pain job was the fresh airbox. All new seals and grill made it doubly hard to install. NEVER want to do that again!
PanelBilly
Bleeding brakes. Over and over and over.
rjames
Replacing CVs.
SKL1
Replacing master cylinder hands down...
euro911
Currently, getting this straightened out ... it's NOT the trailing arm, it's the mounting ears dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Hit a stone wall until this gets taken care of
76-914
I'll doing those seals within the next few months so any tips would be helpful. But to your question: the glove box springs are the worst followed closely by the air box.
930cabman
Dumb Question:

If we love our 914's so much, there are more than a few Least favorite jobs??

But you could look at from this light, it should be easier next time
mate914
Rust repairing at rear of front fender. Scraping the crap out of the wheel wells to paint.
CV joints suck. Trying to find a water leak in a type 4.

Matt flag.gif
WizPorsche914
Glovebox !
iankarr
My top (bottom) 3…

Fresh air box
Steering rack
Triangle window install and alignment
horizontally-opposed
Rear wheel bearings as a 16yo in a home garage (w/no press)
Under car fuel line replacement
Triangle window "alignment" with new seals

Oh yeah, and sorting carb issues ar15.gif
9146C
Having to call a tow truck.
mgphoto
Replacing oil cooler seals with the engine in the car. And the oil filter bracket gasket. Haha...
windforfun
Fixing a fuel system leak.
moldygreg
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 25 2022, 08:57 PM) *

Replacing master cylinder hands down...

Just did this job and second this; which then resuts in PanelBilly's 'bleed brakes' answer. Both stinkers.

Fan Vent not fun, but doable with soap and rubber bands.
Mikey914
Rust repair
Triangle window seals
Airbox removal
nditiz1
Wiper motor, because of the air box woes. Only to find out as much as you oiled and tested the setup on the bench, it was frozen shafts that made all your work for nothing. FINE! where's the RainX
GeorgeKopf
Writing the checks.
Chaznaster
CVs. If you use the supplied cup washers that look the same as the ones you took out but are, on fact, 0.5mm taller. headbang.gif
rgalla9146

Heat / defrost control panel replacement and adjustment of flaps
MM1
I had no idea the glove box would be on this list, until I just read this thread . No wonder this project I just got has no glove box in it. dry.gif

Guess I’ll have to do a search on 914 World for a thread later.
r_towle
Hellhole
Shivers
Rear brake flex lines were kind of a pain.
scottthephotog
Changing the oil cooler with the engine in the car. That is not a fun job.

Anything fuel related (changing lines, injectors, fuel filter, etc...). It's usually not hard. I just hate dealing with gas spilling on things.
76-914
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 26 2022, 07:08 PM) *

I had no idea the glove box would be on this list, until I just read this thread . No wonder this project I just got has no glove box in it. dry.gif

Guess I’ll have to do a search on 914 World for a thread later.

The glove box itself is a snap. And so is the door. It's those damned door springs. You need to remove the radio, IIRC, just to get access. And then I was only able to reinstall one spring. I gave up on the 2nd spring after an hour of failed attempts. I should mention that I have various shaped surgical hemostats in my toolbox just to access difficult areas. If there is a trick I'd like to know it. My guess is those are installed on the dash skeleton before it is offered up to the cabin. Maybe @iankarr could do a video on reinstalling these demonic springs!
Front yard mechanic
Today ; fyou1.gif the altenator replacement
campbellcj

- anything involving pedals/cluster area and cables around there
- fan belt on -6 without a firewall cutout
- wiring dash gauges
rhodyguy
Chasing a 'hunting' idle. Parts flat out get expensive. Personal labor is part of the ownership agreement. Bleeding the brakes without speed bleeders is an excersize in frustration. The helper/pedal pusher gets tired of the ordeal quickly. Ridding the car of an AC system, and fixing ALL of the holes and other carnage is a major pita.
DRPHIL914
@bkrantz

i have to agree it might be close to the top of the list as i just did this last saturday night, but i think am with Mark on the triangle glass ans seal replacement, followed by pulling the motor/ and/or transmission ans chasing a freaking output shaft leak, followed by the dreaded air box removed due to pulling the tank etc ans worse is putting back into place with the new seal on top so tight!

- so along those lines i found that thr new seal had to be modified due to lack of groove for the metal tab!!!! so i spent a couple hours getting that carefully done before it would go into place ans fit- the old one had that groove ans it was from 914 rubber so i have to ask mark why the new seals don’t have it???????
here are a few pictures, it’s now in and fairly well lined up.
here is a comparison of old and new, ans the new one now has groove that has to be cut in or the metal tab would not fit and i didn’t want to cut that off.
DRPHIL914
i didn’t she a picture of it now with the top on but it does line u well with the bottom of the window ans the seal on the targa top lines up with that seal and rolled up it slides into the groove nicely so no complaints there. not sure why your top sits higher ? hm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.