Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix and good ground....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Topic says it all but I would like the brain trust's two cents....I thought the tranny ground was loose but is filthy....can't wait to hear from you all....thank you! Pertronix guy adamant about the grounding issue....
Thank you,
gg
Lockwodo
What is the problem did it start after installing the Pertronix? Missing, not running at all, intermittent?
second wind
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Apr 25 2022, 08:00 PM) *

What is the problem did it start after installing the Pertronix? Missing, not running at all, intermittent?

Worked perfect for over eight years...then the intermittent fuel pump issue showed up and now grabbing at straws....any ideas very welcome...thank you very much!
gg
Dave_Darling
The Pertronix has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Unless some misguided soul plugged the fuel pump directly into the coil, which is connected to the Pertronix.

Stock fuel pump grounding is to the chassis ground point under the relay board. Pumps that have been re-wired will ground wherever the person doing the wiring decided to ground them.

I don't remember how the Pertronix is grounded. If it has a separate ground wire, trace that.

The stock points are grounded through a bit of a long path:
- Points plate to the distributor body
- Distributor body to crankcase
- Crankcase to transmission case
- Transmission case to tranny ground strap
- Tranny ground strap to chassis
- Chassis to battery ground strap
- Battery ground strap to battery ground terminal

Any of these junctions can have dirt or corrosion which will make the ground worse.

You can provide an extra ground point by going straight from the battery ground terminal to the engine case, or straight to the distributor body. You should use a very thick wire just in case everything starts grounding through that, BTW. This will at least allow you to test.

--DD
second wind
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 26 2022, 02:57 PM) *

The Pertronix has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Unless some misguided soul plugged the fuel pump directly into the coil, which is connected to the Pertronix.

Stock fuel pump grounding is to the chassis ground point under the relay board. Pumps that have been re-wired will ground wherever the person doing the wiring decided to ground them.

I don't remember how the Pertronix is grounded. If it has a separate ground wire, trace that.

The stock points are grounded through a bit of a long path:
- Points plate to the distributor body
- Distributor body to crankcase
- Crankcase to transmission case
- Transmission case to tranny ground strap
- Tranny ground strap to chassis
- Chassis to battery ground strap
- Battery ground strap to battery ground terminal

Any of these junctions can have dirt or corrosion which will make the ground worse.

You can provide an extra ground point by going straight from the battery ground terminal to the engine case, or straight to the distributor body. You should use a very thick wire just in case everything starts grounding through that, BTW. This will at least allow you to test.

--DD

Thank you Dave....I will check all of these points....I thought my tranny to body ground strap was loose but it was not....just dirty....can being dirty actually interfere with the grounding capability on this strap? I will clean up all of my grounds and report back.
Thank you very much....gg
r_towle
Dirty or internally corroded tranny ground strap cause all sorts of issues.
I added a ground strap from the battery to one of the starter bolts…all issues went away.
second wind
[quote name='r_towle' date='Apr 26 2022, 07:38 PM' post='2998012']
I added a ground strap from the battery to one of the starter bolts…all issues went away.
[/quote

Thank you very much...I will get busy...Superhawk 996 shamed me into doing the repair in a methodical intelligent manner....I can't thank him enough as well as mgphoto...funny how I know a heckuvalot more from these two guys and closing in on my solution...will report back...very hopeful at this point....thank you all..
gg
porschetub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 27 2022, 02:38 PM) *

agree.gif I couldn't clean my trans earth strap to my satisfaction so I got a piece of welder earth cable and had a local shop crimp heavy 8mm eyelets on,have a secondary earth cable to fit yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.