Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Great little piece in the latest issue of 000 on a unique 914 a long time friend of mine built back in Iowa he ran at Bonneville.
Half a 911 engine in a 914 so he could set records in a 1 liter class. I actually drove the car once with him while he was playing with it. No dragster but it easily got over the speed limit on the interstate going through my hometown of Cedar Rapids, IA!Click to view attachment

(He could have gone faster but a spring in the throttle linkage had broken on the single Weber affecting one cylinder which they didn't discover until they were back in Iowa)
TRS63
Really cool, thanks for sharing!

Antoine
krazykonrad
Any pictures of what half a 6 looks like?
Dion
Now that’s thinking out of the boxer engine! Pics would surely be nice.
Shame about the damn spring situation.
mate914
They only ran three cylinders to make it a 1 liter.
I would like to see pictures also.
Matt flag.gif
rhodyguy
Great read.
wonkipop
reading the text said engine had secondary vibration problems.
but they got sorted out later.

neat idea. if engine used right hand bank would counterbalance driver.

f piech was going there before things went pear shaped between vw and porsche in the early 70s. engines for the beetle replacement. IL 3 and IL 4 laid flat. alongside a boxer 6 and 8 were under way that had the other half. boxers would have been in a you know what that never happened.

VW still has an IL version in its museum collection.

Click to view attachment
SKL1
Update- the engine is in Iowa and still in one piece- he could probably get it running again with a little work. Looked like a 911 engine with 3 round plates on one side blocking where those cylinders would be.
My friend is nearly 88 and not doing much engine work anymore but still sharp as a tack. Was just talking to him on the phone and he was excited the article was in the magazine.
Luckily Pete is a big 914 guy so maybe a longer article about the car, and the engine could be done in a later issue...
Hopefully "to be continued..."
Dion
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 27 2022, 06:34 PM) *

Update- the engine is in Iowa and still in one piece- he could probably get it running again with a little work. Looked like a 911 engine with 3 round plates on one side blocking where those cylinders would be.
My friend is nearly 88 and not doing much engine work anymore but still sharp as a tack. Was just talking to him on the phone and he was excited the article was in the magazine.
Luckily Pete is a big 914 guy so maybe a longer article about the car, and the engine could be done in a later issue...
Hopefully "to be continued..."

That’s fantastic. Good on him!
r_towle
Just seems like it would shake a ton…
wonkipop
slightly OT.

but 3 cylinders in a 356.
200 hp (+ more) 2L.
aussie ---- but not cheap.
looks to me like it fits straight in a you know what.
idea.gif (for when i win the lottery).

https://silodrome.com/radial-motion-engine-porsche-356/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG5nrJlZwjQ
gandalf_025
I always thought a 2 stroke 911 engine would be interesting..
Would take someone with more skill sets than I have
and deeper pockets though..

Using some motorcycle pistons, cylinders and heads.

I’ve seen some interesting split cage roller bearings
that might work for crank and rod bearings.

Maybe a turbo blowing down through the oil breather cover
hole..
Wonder how high you could rev it..??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.