914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chupee
Plugs ,points, oil & tranny fluids etc?

thx
Jack Standz
QUOTE(Chupee @ Apr 27 2022, 10:37 AM) *

thx

Just a suggestion. But, very carefully choose a shop that knows what they're doing. OR do it yourself, if you can. Unfortunately, bad things can happen:

Plugs should only be done on a cold motor or you could pull the threads out of the heads.

An oil change can destroy your motor if the sump bolt is over tightened. It's fastener has a quite low setting and too many motors have what's called "the type 4 syndrome" (cracks the case internally).

Tranny fluid is a controversial subject, but a too slippery more modern fluid is not good for the consumables inside the box.

Personally, I have caused enough havoc with my own 914s over the years. However, my policy is that nobody else works on mine.

With all that said, knowledge and quality service should outrank cost. We only want to hear good things about your 914 service. Best wishes for getting her maintenance done.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Apr 26 2022, 09:27 PM) *

thx

Just a suggestion. But, very carefully choose a shop that knows what they're doing. OR do it yourself, if you can. Unfortunately, bad things can happen:

Plugs should only be done on a cold motor or you could pull the threads out of the heads.

An oil change can destroy your motor if the sump bolt is over tightened. It's fastener has a quite low setting and too many motors have what's called "the type 4 syndrome" (cracks the case internally).

Tranny fluid is a controversial subject, but a too slippery more modern fluid is not good for the consumables inside the box.

Personally, I have caused enough havoc with my own 914s over the years. However, my policy is that nobody else works on mine.

With all that said, knowledge and quality service should outrank cost. We only want to hear good things about your 914 service. Best wishes for getting her maintenance done.

You should never use the bolt on the oil pickup sump to change the oil! 914's do not have VW Type 1 Bug engines. Use the oil drain plug next to it when draining the oil. The metal screen in the oil pickup does not need to be cleaned when an oil change is performed - these cars have a separate replaceable oil filter that needs to be changed.
emerygt350
But cleaning and checking the sump screen is a good idea.

Do not take it to anyone that doesn't do 914s normally or at least air-cooled vws.
brubou
As far as price goes...

$40 = Driven Oil 15W-50 ($10 each)
$7 = Oil Filter
$6 = Ignition Points
$8 = Spark Plugs ($2 each)
$10 = gear oil

$71 total, so looking at real world $80 - $85 after taxes and all that

Do the work to your 914 for 2 simple reasons, it's easier than you think and shops will always get something wrong. ALWAYS
Jack Standz
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Apr 27 2022, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Apr 26 2022, 09:27 PM) *

thx

You should never use the bolt on the oil pickup sump to change the oil! 914's do not have VW Type 1 Bug engines. Use the oil drain plug next to it when draining the oil. The metal screen in the oil pickup does not need to be cleaned when an oil change is performed - these cars have a separate replaceable oil filter that needs to be changed.

Got your point. But, checking the sump screen should be part of regular maintenance and inspection.
And, we may know the difference between the drain plug and the sump bolt, but an inexperienced person may not. To me, I'm not willing to risk it.
rhodyguy
And shop labor rates equal what ever the market will bear. Owning a 914 can tend to be an ongoing, expensive, experience.
Jett
+1 do it yourself or find a mechanic that knows these cars. Most mechanics will damage our cars sad.gif
Chupee
QUOTE(Jett @ Apr 27 2022, 08:52 AM) *

+1 do it yourself or find a mechanic that knows these cars. Most mechanics will damage our cars sad.gif

being quoted $1100 total

thx
emerygt350
That's pretty excessive. If it is a competent 914 familiar mechanic I would expect 300-400 for a good job. 300 for a quick fluid change and just a check on the dwell and points.

I mean both transmission and oil change should take a 914 guy 30 minutes max. Plugs and points the same amount of time. Plugs would take me 15 minutes in my driveway. Checking the points and dwell, 5 minutes. Setting the dwell and points about 45.
rhodyguy
The service estimate is excessive. Quick mental math looks like $800 or so in labor. OUCH. If you should take the plunge, start with the fluids. For the gear lube, loosen the fill plug prior to draining the lube. The warning about over tightening the oil screen fastener is crucial. This is not a 'feels right' thing. Invest in a good torque wrench. And a Haynes manual if you don't have one.
BillJ
Real world.numbers are great but dont equal what a shop will charge as flat rate. Flat rate is applied as an average of how long a certain job takes. It accounts for things that arent the ideal flow as well. A sticky spark plug, an overtightened filter, a rusted on bolt, etc. Sometimes the tech does the job faster and sometimes longer but an estimate is done at book. You will normally never charged less than what the shop gets as flat rate.

I try to do as much as i can on my own and save the labor costs (these days most shops are $100+/hour) and expect a shop to do a stellar job for me to pay them to do it right. Oil change is gonna be around $200. Heck the oil change for my cayenne diesel at the dealer is $650. I do it myself and all the parts are $125.
Cairo94507
I am hoping that $1,100 included a valve adjustment and parts. beerchug.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(Chupee @ Apr 27 2022, 07:45 AM) *

being quoted $1100 total

thx

Are they dropping the engine to do something? Holy cow!!!
Chris914n6
An annual service would be based on assumed miles, so unless you are doing IIRC 12k miles a year that list doesn't apply.

Annual would include rotating tires, air filter, hose inspection, brake inspection, valve adjustment, wheel bearing check. Things you should be on top of anyways as a driver of an old car. Half that list Lawyers put in there.

So unless you have a certain concern about the car, check the oil color and tire pressures then enjoy the driving season.
914werke
QUOTE(brubou @ Apr 27 2022, 06:32 AM) *
$7 = Oil Filter
$6 = Ignition Points
$8 = Spark Plugs ($2 each) [where are you finding $2 plugs?]
$10 = gear oil

Last I checked its the 21st century, technology HAS improved in the last 50 years.
There is no reason to continue to use points in these cars.
Get a electronic replacement PU set & dump the points youll be glad you did & will eliminate another thing on your list to annually "service" sunglasses.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Chupee @ Apr 27 2022, 07:45 AM) *

being quoted $1100 total

thx

What is the breakdown on parts versus labor? Curious why it's so expensive. Most So Cal shops do get over a $100.00 an hour for labor.
JamesM
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 27 2022, 07:49 AM) *

An annual service would be based on assumed miles, so unless you are doing IIRC 12k miles a year that list doesn't apply.

Annual would include rotating tires, air filter, hose inspection, brake inspection, valve adjustment, wheel bearing check. Things you should be on top of anyways as a driver of an old car. Half that list Lawyers put in there.

So unless you have a certain concern about the car, check the oil color and tire pressures then enjoy the driving season.

agree.gif that

Or maybe even less than that.

Because of the crap weather in this state I dont get to drive my cars nearly enough to have to change spark plugs... like ever.

I change the oil in my cars yearly just on principal but because i own so many I am even starting to reconsider that practice.

My biggest issues are keeping all the batteries charged and tires aging out long before their tread is gone.
mlindner
Yup, do it your self. After the first time you will love doing it. Just buy a pair of Rhino ramps to get your 914 up in the air safe. I've done my service for over 50 years including my 914-6 GT Tribute build the last three years. Best, Mark
ndfrigi
@chupee
Schedule one saturday morning and drive here to my small place and we can help each other do a change oil, change spark plug (although not a yearly replacement needed unless you don’t know the history), change tranny oil (same not really a yearly maintenance).

Just buy your supplies and maybe we can do in half day with lots of 914 talks!

brubou
QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 27 2022, 11:54 AM) *

$7 = Oil Filter
$6 = Ignition Points
$10 = gear oil

Last I checked its the 21st century, technology HAS improved in the last 50 years.
Get a electronic replacement PU set & dump the points youll be glad you did & will eliminate another thing on your list to annually "service" sunglasses.gif

NGK's from RockAuto
emerygt350
QUOTE(brubou @ Apr 27 2022, 03:20 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Apr 27 2022, 11:54 AM) *

$7 = Oil Filter
$6 = Ignition Points
$10 = gear oil

NGK's from RockAuto

Love good old coppers. Use them in my mustang too.
fixer34
Not that I would ever do it, but would love to know what a Porsche dealer would charge to adjust valves on a factory 914-6.
Considering they are supposed to be done cold, I wonder what they did 'back in the day'. Leave your car overnight at the dealer/shop?
Chupee
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 27 2022, 12:38 PM) *

@chupee
Schedule one saturday morning and drive here to my small place and we can help each other do a change oil, change spark plug (although not a yearly replacement needed unless you don’t know the history), change tranny oil (same not really a yearly maintenance).

That is too amazing an offer! I would insist on a nice dinner at your fav restaurant!

thx
bobboinski
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Apr 27 2022, 03:07 PM) *

Not that I would ever do it, but would love to know what a Porsche dealer would charge to adjust valves on a factory 914-6.
Considering they are supposed to be done cold, I wonder what they did 'back in the day'. Leave your car overnight at the dealer/shop?

Back in the day I didn't own a Porsche but I did own motorcycles that had to be cold for valve adjustments. I only took them to the dealer to keep the warranty valid, and I did have to leave them overnight to cool. Eventually I learned that I could do all the maintenance myself and keep the warranty valid as long as I kept good records.
r_towle
Jack stands
Jack
Oil pan for used fluids
5 gallon bucket for used fluid
Beer
A chair
Internet access to watch YouTube to see how to do it
Timing light
Dwell meter
Beer
A friend or two to drop by to tell you how to do it
A weekend
A whole set of metric wrenches
5 extra 10mm and 13mm sockets because they magically evaporate
Beer
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Chupee @ Apr 27 2022, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 27 2022, 12:38 PM) *

@chupee

That is too amazing an offer! I would insist on a nice dinner at your fav restaurant!

thx

@Chupee let’s find the right schedule. send me a p.m.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.