Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a ticket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
Got a ticket for parking my 914 in a parking lot for a month or two. Dunno if it was a parking ticket or not. Might have been because registration sticker wasn't on it. Wrecked car in Jan, got sticker in Feb, figured there's no reason to put it on if I wasn't driving it. It was parked in a private parking lot.

The cop looked up my info to get my address and such, couldn't he have also looked up whether my reg. was current? Anyway, I got the "ticket" in the mail yesterday. It's a PROOF OF SERVICE, whatever that means. I got cited for "N044248" Anyone know where I can look that up to see what they're nailing me for??

TIA,

Jen
ninefourteener
Maybe they figure since your registration was never done (due to it being wrecked), the state wants proof that you are either working on it, or have sold it.

Just a thought... I duno though.

IL and MO do something similar
seanery
This is california we're talking about. Who the hell knows what it is about. I bet if you call you won't get a straight answer.

This is from the state that took 2 1/2 years to get me the title for a 356 I bought when I lived there.
Jenny
Registration was due by Feb, so I already paid for another year before I even wrecked my car. It's still registered. I just never bothered to put the sticker on the car.

Sean, when I called, it's a huge web of automated messages that it patches you to. gives you office hours, location and what not. I think I'll just have to go there in person to take care of this shit. fighting19.gif

Jen
Mueller
Not too sure, I couldn't find that number here:

DMV Vehicle Code
Jenny
Okay, so there's another number. I found it. But can't decifer it... mad.gif

Copy of Notice

40505. Whenever any traffic or police officer delivers a notice to appear or notice of violation charging an offense under this code to any person, it shall include all information set forth upon the copy of the notice filed with a magistrate and no traffic or police officer shall set forth on any notice filed with a magistrate or attach thereto or accompany the notice with any written statement giving information or containing allegations which have not been delivered to the person receiving the notice to appear or notice of violation.

Amended Ch. 1056, Stats. 1969. Effective November 10, 1969.

WTF???
tryan
they cannot submit or file a ticket untill you are notified. hence the letter. doublewtf.
markb
What agency wrote the ticket? Is the Officers name or badge number on the ticket? If yes to these, call the agency, ask for that Officer, and get the lowdown. If you can't get that Officer, ask for his Superviser. A lot of times when I get the automated stuff, I just keep hitting 0 until I get a live person.
Joe Ricard
Jenny you should be glad it wasn't for speeding. although speeding tickets make for better stories the are more expensive. dance.gif
Pnambic
Two half way relevent experiences:

Experience #1:
Two and a half years ago on Christmas eve, I was driving to the inlaws with my wife and son in my wife's car (the family sedan) and was pulled over for driving 56 in a 55. Apparently someone had called the police reporting a similar vehicle zipping through traffic at 85 mph cutting people off and such. (no license was reported, the vehicle reported was black and my car was dark green...wtf) Anyway, I was about to probably get myself in trouble arguing with the cop when he tells me he's not going to give me a speeding ticket. He then proceeds to write me an even more expensive ticket for driving a car without a signed registration. (My wife apparently forgot to sign it, but since I was driving, I got the ticket.) Merry F-ing Christmas! finger.gif

Experience #2:
Last March 2, my mother was driving her car to work. A police officer pulled up behind her at a stop sign and as she pulled away, turned on his lights to pull her over. My dad had left the stickers on his desk by accident instead of putting them on the
plates. The stickers currently on the plates expired at the end of February. Even though the officer mentioned that his records indicated that the registration had been paid, he ticketed her for not having them displayed properly.

Bottom line, if a cop wants to write you a ticket, they can probably always find something to write you up for.
seanery
Hamilton County Sherrif's dept?

Or maybe were you in Carmel? They suck there!
Pnambic
Seanery knows....

My mom was in Carmel. Mine was up around Rochester, IN.

Carmel police dept. actually got sued by the Police Chief of Indianapolis (neighboring city) for pulling him over b/c of his race. I think he settled that one out of court, but that's the reputation they have.
Brad Roberts
Its a fix it ticket.

You just need to prove that the car was registered. Should be fairly painless.

B
URY914
I think that code means, "You know Brad, therefore you get a ticket." lol2.gif

Paul
Brad Roberts
Nope.. the police love me.

They visit SSI every 4 weeks or so...LOL

B
URY914
Sorry Brad,
That was my first cheap shot at you. Everyone else does it so it was peer pressure.

Won't happen again.

Paul
Brad Roberts
Feel free.. especially if I leave the door wide open for a "smackdown"..

I welcome it. I have thick skin and good sense of humor finger.gif

B
Jenny
I have to go to Palo Alto to take care of it. Brad, I now echo your sentiments about that city. sucks much ass.. fighting19.gif

Jen
Brad Roberts
What does PA have to do with it ?? Doesnt the BF live in Santa Clara or San Jose ??

B
Jenny
Cupertino. But the courthouse I have to go to is in PA.

Jen
Mike D.
Jenny,

You would think the police would know weather of not you car was registered when they ran the plate. I believe that the DMV, Police and Parking Police computers are not linked unless it benefits them in some way.

Years back I had my VW superbeetle stolen. The stripped down carcass sat on the street in east LA collecting parking tickets for over two weeks, like 5 or 6, until it was finally towed. At the police impound they must have realized the car was reported stolen. After all that, about 6 weeks later I got a notice of unpaid parking tickets in the mail!

I had to retrieve, copy and distribute all the paperwork myself to make them go away.
headbang.gif Unfuckingbelievable!

-Mike D.
nebreitling
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jul 24 2003, 10:39 AM)
I have to go to Palo Alto to take care of it. Brad, I now echo your sentiments about that city. sucks much ass.. fighting19.gif

Jen

hey, palo alto's a great city --

that is if you're a stuck-up 26 year-old retired brat with a new boxster who doesn't wave at 914's.

errrrr mad.gif , i've got to move....

sorry to hear about the bullshit you have to deal with jenny. do stop by if you want to see a running 914 lol3.gif

nathan
mikester
If it is california, and the car is not operational you can have it registered as PNO (Planned Non Operational). In which case they do not issue you a new sticker until it is reregistered as operatioal. Renewing it as NPO is very cheap I believe. Since it was parked in a private parking lot and not on a public street, I wonder if the ticket is reasonable.

I would fight it, that being the case.

I paid my fees on time recently via the mail and have yet to recieve my sticker. I'm a bit irritated, when I called they said "it was in processing."

I hate California government.
Jenny
Let's all move to Texas. It'll balance things out in the grand scheme of things anyway. Brad keeps bringing people over here from Texas... <_<

Jen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.