Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
canaus
I bought a non running project, with no keys.
I planning on taking a lock to an auto locksmith to have new keys made.

Question:
Are the ignition & door locks keyed the same or different?

If they are different or have been changed, then I will need to take both the ignition & door locks in to the locksmith.
ClayPerrine
From the factory, there were two keys for a 914.

A black one that opened everything.
A red one that was the valet key, and would open the doors and work the ignition.

But you can use a red key for everything. We did that to distinguish the keys for my 914-6 conversion from the keys for Betty's 914.

Then we got the real six, so I have different key rings for each car, and she has a metal key for the six that has been painted blue.

Clay
canaus

Thank you Clay
ndfrigi
Talk to Curt Curtis, you can send all your locks to him and he will restore and make you a complete set.

sample of his work on his Facebook page.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Tell your lock smith you need an A81-M blank. That's for the master key. Remove the rear trunk lock and take that to the lock smith. Pay attention to the orientation of the plunger on the back of the lock. It must point to the bottom ot the lock will not open the trunk. That blank should operate all the locks if they haven't been replaced. If that's the case, contact me. Good luck.
SKL1
Great thread- my '73 has a newer iginiton column switch so I need to use different keys and would love one key for everything...
Will look for a video on removing or replacing the ignition column switch and send stuff to Curt when it's 115 here in the summer!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 30 2022, 09:07 PM) *

Great thread- my '73 has a newer iginiton column switch so I need to use different keys and would love one key for everything...
Will look for a video on removing or replacing the ignition column switch and send stuff to Curt when it's 115 here in the summer!

If your key looks like the one below, its from one of many models of vw\audl. Porsche used modified versions of this switch for the 75\76 cars. These switches are not comparable with our keys(which is the same as the period 911's. Send me a spare key and I'll build you a proper lock.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.