Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phenolic Spacers, Gaskets, Carburetors & Such
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I am looking for some advice on carburetor setup. I know there are 100's of threads on this, but I am looking specifically for advice on setup for IDF 40's. I've read where putting phenolic spacers in place limit the possibility of boiling the gas.

So my first question is what is the basic setup? Are we talking about a Victor Reinz type of gray/black gasket between the head and the manifold intake. Then a 1/4 or 1/2" phenolic spacer between the intake and the carburetor? Also, is there a paper/cork gasket that has to go on either side of the phenolic spacer?

I plan on replacing the hex bar with either the CSP linkage or, more than likely, Chris's pulley setup, but I want to make sure the setup between the carbs and manifolds is ideal before I start tinkering with the air flow and syncing them. Any feedback would be great.

Here is a pic of the spacers that I'm looking at:

Click to view attachment

mb911
On a 911 based engine it goes gaskets, phenolic, gasket, intake, gasket, carb.

Is that what you were looking for?
Craigers17
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2022, 06:36 AM) *

On a 911 based engine it goes gaskets, phenolic, gasket, intake, gasket, carb.

Is that what you were looking for?

@mb911 Yes thanks! However, when I was researching this topic, I also found the following pic. Is this unnecessary, overkill, or just dependent on engine size/configuration? Notice the spacers between the carbs and intakes.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Those spacers pictured live between the the intakes and the carbs. I have a set. The ones between the heads and intakes are the simply the stock FI ones. 3 or 4 stud holes dependent on the heads. Designed to help with bowls/fuel heat soak while the car sits after a drive. Picture beat me to the usage.
brant
Also

You will likely need longer studs to accommodate the spacers
Use care pulling the stock studs out of the heads
rhodyguy
Stock intake studs work with the CB talls. Shorty intakes with a thick boss on the bottom flange? One intake stud is too short. Stick with the talls. The Belleville/Schnor washers for exhaust studs work much better than cut washers on the intake studs.
Craigers17
Thanks for everyone's input. This is the information I needed. I appreciate it!
Ansbacher
I have tried phenolic spacers on several carb setups on my 914 and my former 356SC and they never took care of fuel boil off during Florida summer driving. I see you are in Georgia where it gets pretty hot too. Not sure how effective they will be for you. Worth a try, I guess. Good luck.

Ansbacher
brant
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ May 1 2022, 09:33 AM) *

I have tried phenolic spacers on several carb setups on my 914 and my former 356SC and they never took care of fuel boil off during Florida summer driving. I see you are in Georgia where it gets pretty hot too. Not sure how effective they will be for you. Worth a try, I guess. Good luck.

Ansbacher

Did you run a return fuel line in your cars?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.