Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New noise at speed ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
WHile driving at low speeds, don't hear anything; but when I get up to 65 -70,I begin to
hear an intermittent sound from the drivers side.Not loud, not a squeak. Soon as the speed comes down, the sound goes away.
Is this possibly the warning sound from a bearing ?
mlindner
Does it get louder when load is applied, turning left or right. Or tire with a bad cord or tread.
rhodyguy
Like a Chirping? Can you induce the sound when the car is stationary? I had a chirp. Drove me crazy. Could never get the alt belt tension correct. The upper arm the alt bolts to was cracked and failing. New arm? Goodbye chirp.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 30 2022, 06:00 AM) *

Like a Chirping? Can you induce the sound when the car is stationary? I had a chirp. Drove me crazy. Could never get the alt belt tension correct. The upper arm the alt bolts to was cracked and failing. New arm? Goodbye chirp.

Hmmm…did sound like it was coming from the resr ?
Mine sound is less than a chirp; can’t tell it’s origin
emerygt350
does the sound frequency or rate change with speed?
mgphoto
Cracked alternator bracket, makes a sound like a bearing going bad.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 30 2022, 08:39 AM) *

That’s something I had happen before; good call !
I’ll pay closer attention to the noise. I just drove to Enderle in Tustin and did not hear it. Road noise may have obscured it.
I first heard it driving on the smoothe part of PCH along Bolsa Chica.
Will follow up.I assume the bracket can’t be seen without some disassembly ?
StarBear
Had that several years ago. Drove me crazy. The left front wheel must have taken a bump a made it a bit unbalanced. Right at 55-65; not at less nor at more.
Rotated tires and sound moved, providing the needed clue.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 30 2022, 11:33 AM) *

Had that several years ago. Drove me crazy. The left front wheel must have taken a bump a made it a bit unbalanced. Right at 55-65; not at less nor at more.

Did you get vibration too ?
StarBear
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 30 2022, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 30 2022, 11:33 AM) *

Did you get vibration too ?

Not enough to notice, given condition of NJ roads and normal car motion.
mgphoto
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 30 2022, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 30 2022, 08:39 AM) *

That’s something I had happen before; good call !
I’ll pay closer attention to the noise. I just drove to Enderle in Tustin and did not hear it. Road noise may have obscured it.
I first heard it driving on the smoothe part of PCH along Bolsa Chica.
Will follow up.I assume the bracket can’t be seen without some disassembly ?

Get a small compact mirror, pull out the adjustment covers, get some light in there.
The bracket can be replaced with the engine in the car, just another step in replacing the alternator. Not one of the more fun jobs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.