Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro from Washington
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tedg04
Hi all!
I'm a new owner to a '74 914. The previous owner passed away and his children were... Less than knowledgeable about it's history. They indicated it was a 1.8 originally but it "blew up" and they replaced it with a 2.0.
It has a 1.7/2.0 relay board, I'm just not sure it was originally a 1.8.
In any case, I'm in the process of pulling the gas tank and replacing the fuel pump (bought it as a non-runner, and have confirmed it's a lack of fuel and not a relay or fuse issue). Looking forward to having a little p-car to tool around in!
(I grew up in my dad's longhoods, he also had a track prepped 73 914 with a 2.4 motor, and I used to have a 951 and currently have a 996.)

As they say, pics or it didn't happen smile.gif
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PnTbZb7EzQbtLzpW7
914werke
welcome.png
hndyhrr
Welcome!

You will find a wealth of knowledge here!

Of course post some pic's for all to see.

cheer.gif

aktion035.gif
914_7T3
Nice Color Combo! Olympic Blue is always a stunner!

welcome.png
Van B
@wonkipop has recently catalogued the full history of the ‘74 1.8. Post up your vehicle info and we can tell you exactly what it was when it rolled off the line.
-VIN door sticker
-Karman plate
-engine bay emissions sticker on the upper left engine bay side wall.
Mikey914
Nice color.
Excellent find.
Freezin 914
welcome.png
CCE
Welcome, I am also new in the site, got mine in November, I like the color. Thanks for sharing.
wonkipop
hello @tedg04 .

good looking car.

if its a 74 model then there are only two things it could have been.
a 1.8 or a 2.0.

beerchug.gif

per @Van B .
if its still got a vin sticker in the door jamb. post up date and month.
if you are comfortable posting up chassis no. post it up.
look at the karmann plate in the drivers door jamb. post up pkn number on that plate.

it might still have an emission sticker in the engine bay.
its up above the fuse/relay board in the engine bay on the lhs.
see what is on it. will list the engine. either EC-A or EC-B if it was a 1.8.

euro911
welcome.png
tygaboy
welcome.png
A beauty, for sure!
bkrantz
Nice! Welcome to the 914 tribe.
tedg04
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I got the tank out today, and the fuel pump out from the service panel.

New pump and filter are ordered from pelican parts and I'm hopeful that I'll be driving it next weekend!

The pump I took out looks very different from the replacements I've seen. I guess I'll be doing some wiring confused24.gif

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ahx1evwN8NsFUPAa9
Badinfluence1
welcome.png Congrats on the car, talk to rich at 914werke.com- really helpful, he's in seattle, Does it have any rust? even if it does you got a great deal out in Asowatin-
PanelBilly
Welcome to the group. You need to sign up for WCR now.
tedg04
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 1 2022, 08:16 PM) *

Okay, I tried a Google search. WTF is WCR?
dhuckabay
Welcome also. I am from the area, have several air cooled. The Porsche Club local chapter has an air cooled section that meets at a shop on a monthly basis. A lot of 914's are there. Some great knowledge available. You may want to consider joining in.

WCR, west coast ramble. On the Oregon coast this year, unfortunately I am out of town during the time.
tedg04
Thanks! My wife and I will just barely be back in town from the east coast, might be hard to swing that. I'd probably annoy everyone by driving my 996 rather than the 914 (ac and cruise make that 9hr drive a lot nicer lol).
tedg04
QUOTE(tedg04 @ May 1 2022, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 1 2022, 08:16 PM) *

Okay, I tried a Google search. WTF is WCR?

Good God, I'm dumb. Literally a highlighted thread 5 down. You can tell I logged in and only checked this thread headbang.gif
Van B
That’s the original 3 port fuel pump.
wonkipop
@tedg04

don't throw that orig fuel pump away.

i for one could be interested? depends. i am in far off australia.

its a rebuilt one - i can tell looking at the cap on the pressure relief valve spring.
hard to know why its out of action.
would have to find out more from you.
could be dicked inside motor wise.
or that section with the three ports on it is all gummed up inside.

by all means get a new in line pump.
but do not send the old one to the trash.

beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
welcome.png

Will be relocating to Athol area in not too distant future and hope to see some other 914's in Spokane / CDA area. I can't wait to get back out west permanently!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Nice looking car and a great starting point for having a fun driver. beerchug.gif
double-a
QUOTE(tedg04 @ May 1 2022, 01:02 PM) *

Hi all!
I'm a new owner to a '74 914. The previous owner passed away and his children were... Less than knowledgeable about it's history. They indicated it was a 1.8 originally but it "blew up" and they replaced it with a 2.0.
It has a 1.7/2.0 relay board, I'm just not sure it was originally a 1.8.
In any case, I'm in the process of pulling the gas tank and replacing the fuel pump (bought it as a non-runner, and have confirmed it's a lack of fuel and not a relay or fuse issue). Looking forward to having a little p-car to tool around in!
(I grew up in my dad's longhoods, he also had a track prepped 73 914 with a 2.4 motor, and I used to have a 951 and currently have a 996.)

As they say, pics or it didn't happen smile.gif
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PnTbZb7EzQbtLzpW7

welcome aboard! i'm in vancouver, ping me if you're ever in the area.
Root_Werks
welcome.png

Nice find!
jhynesrockmtn
Welcome from a fellow Spokane owner. Looks like a great car and I love that color! If you haven't met some of the old guys from the local PCA club with 914's hit me up with a PM. My 1970 is apart for some winter (now spring) work. I hope to have it back on the road in a week or so. A few friends and I race vintage 914's in SOVREN. Waiting for parts for my race car to make the early June event in Spokane. Happy to help in any way we can. You may have already met Brian Westmoreland. He seems to know everyone. Cheers, Jerry

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SavingManuals
welcome.png

Great color! The body-colored top looks great...keeping it?
sb914
welcome.png @tedg04 come on down to wcr and meet the crew !
tedg04
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ May 3 2022, 06:48 AM) *

Welcome from a fellow Spokane owner. Looks like a great car and I love that color! If you haven't met some of the old guys from the local PCA club with 914's hit me up with a PM. My 1970 is apart for some winter (now spring) work. I hope to have it back on the road in a week or so. A few friends and I race vintage 914's in SOVREN. Waiting for parts for my race car to make the early June event in Spokane. Happy to help in any way we can. You may have already met Brian Westmoreland. He seems to know everyone. Cheers, Jerry

Wow! Great to know there's a contingent here in Spokane. I'm a (very inactive) member of PCA, but would love to meet up with you guys. I think I remember seeing the track car at Spokane Festival of Speed some years ago - though I may be remembering another car or another time...

I have to say, I'm really impressed with this community and so happy I found it!
tedg04
There was progress today, just not as much as I hoped.

The Dansk fuel pump I got has an inlet of 1/2", which means I need to adapt from the feed hose to that much larger diameter. Fortunately there's a great custom hose shop in Spokane. Unfortunately they're open 7-4 M-F, so I guess they get a stop on Monday from me!

In spite of this, I got the pump wired and mounted. When I cycled the ignition on I heard the pump run! It's going to get there, just not this weekend.
tedg04
I got the pump in and plumbed today! She runs, but I have a bunch of little stuff to button up before the first drive around the block (ran out of time to finish tonight).

https://youtu.be/f4dDTixas3g

Here's a pic of the fuel line adapters I put together. Notice a shut off valve for the next time I'm in here lol.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Sounds good! I like the color, that was a nice find.
Tdskip
Congratulations - first drive is always a special moment.
burton73
welcome.png

The answers are here!

Bob B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.