Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Norris Camshaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
motorvated
A friend just gave me an old but unused Norris Camshaft No. 366-13 and I can't seem to find any information about it. There is a tag on it that is hard to read but might state:
0.490" lift
0.008" valve lash
10 54 deg BTC EC 80 BBC
1C 74 deg ABC EC 48 ATC

I was told that it is a pretty radical race cam that is not suitable for a street car. Not a problem for me as I am planning to do a performance race build on my 2.0 liter Type IV at the end of this race season. Anyone know anything about this cam and/or have any experience with it or something with similar specifications.

Thanks, Mike S.

Charles Freeborn
Webcam publishes all their specs.
Start with an 86b and go from there.

QUOTE(motorvated @ May 2 2022, 06:30 AM) *

A friend just gave me an old but unused Norris Camshaft No. 366-13 and I can't seem to find any information about it. There is a tag on it that is hard to read but might state:
0.490" lift
0.008" valve lash
10 54 deg BTC EC 80 BBC
1C 74 deg ABC EC 48 ATC

I was told that it is a pretty radical race cam that is not suitable for a street car. Not a problem for me as I am planning to do a performance race build on my 2.0 liter Type IV at the end of this race season. Anyone know anything about this cam and/or have any experience with it or something with similar specifications.

Thanks, Mike S.

stownsen914
I’ve heard of Norris, they may have done Porsche 355 grinds as well. Out of curiosity I googled but could only turn up VW type 1 grinds.
Brett W
QUOTE(motorvated @ May 2 2022, 08:30 AM) *

0.490" lift
0.008" valve lash
10 54 deg BTC EC 80 BBC
1C 74 deg ABC EC 48 ATC

Thanks, Mike S.

Some fiddling with a caluculator suggests that is a pretty rowdy camshaft.

Intake Duration is 308.00 degrees.
Exhaust Duration is 316.00 degrees.
Installed Intake Centerline is 100.00 degrees ATDC.
Installed Exhaust Centerline is 110.00 degrees BTDC.
LSA is 105.0 degrees
Overlap is 102.00 degrees.

That will require a lot of compression and will require RPM to make power. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are building race engine.
motorvated
QUOTE(Brett W @ May 31 2022, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(motorvated @ May 2 2022, 08:30 AM) *

0.490" lift
0.008" valve lash
10 54 deg BTC EC 80 BBC
1C 74 deg ABC EC 48 ATC

Thanks, Mike S.

Some fiddling with a caluculator suggests that is a pretty rowdy camshaft.

Intake Duration is 308.00 degrees.
Exhaust Duration is 316.00 degrees.
Installed Intake Centerline is 100.00 degrees ATDC.
Installed Exhaust Centerline is 110.00 degrees BTDC.
LSA is 105.0 degrees
Overlap is 102.00 degrees.

That will require a lot of compression and will require RPM to make power. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are building race engine.

So what is "a lot of compression", over 8.5? And if "installed intake centerline" is 100 degrees ATDC, specifically how do I internally time this camshaft using a degree wheel?
And what kind/type of solid lifters will work with this cam?

And thank you for your knowledgeable reply! And Yes it will go in a race motor, either a 2.0 liter or 1.8 of increased displacement. Must stay below 2.0 liter threshold to run Vintage.
Brett W
Compression above 10:1 would be preferable. Depending on piston design and race class limits, I would push as high as possible 13-14:1 would be nice. This engine will need race fuel.

Camshaft timing can be adjusted with offset Key ways, bushings in the bolt holes, etc. You will need an aftermarket timing set. Pauter Machine used to make a nice straight cut steel setup. I ran that on my street car when I was 25. HAHA. Its pretty loud.

You will have to assemble and disassemble the motor several times to properly degree the camshaft. Its far from easy, like some other engines.

I would build the biggest engine you can get away with. If 2.0 is the limit build it to 2056.

As for lifters, Web made good lifters, but who knows now. Ceramics would be nice but are unobtanium right now. Talk to L&N engineering about what is working best for them and what they sell currently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.