Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any way to neutralize battery acid in the battery tray?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello family.....my battery tray is a bit contaminated with battery acid and I would like to end the problem asap...all suggestions will be greatly appreciated....thank you very much....
gg
Van B
Acid meets base followed by a thorough rinse clean, rust removal, and protective seal coating of your choice.
second wind
QUOTE(Van B @ May 4 2022, 11:28 PM) *

Acid meets base followed by a thorough rinse clean, rust removal, and protective seal coating of your choice.

Hello Van B....thank you for your reply...what does acid meets base mean? Thank you very much,,,,
gg
mlindner
Then replace with non-acid battery. Done
rmdinmd
baking soda would be a base.
GregAmy
QUOTE(rmdinmd @ May 5 2022, 06:43 AM) *

agree.gif
Lots of baking soda dissolved in tap water. You'll see it bubbling as the acid is neutralized into CO2 and water.

And they said I'd never use my high school chemistry...HAH!
vitamin914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 5 2022, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(rmdinmd @ May 5 2022, 06:43 AM) *

agree.gif
Lots of baking soda dissolved in tap water. You'll see it bubbling as the acid is neutralized into CO2 and water.

And they said I'd never use my high school chemistry...HAH!

After neutralizing, flush with plain water to remove any leftover baking soda solution and any sodium sulphate (formed when sodium bicarbonate or baking soda reacts with the sulphuric acid from the battery). If you don't flush well it will leave white residue when the water evaporates. Don't waste money on buying commercial battery neutralizing stuff. It works the same.
TheCabinetmaker
I like naval jelly
Superhawk996
if you have rust on the tray this can become a mini-project. sad.gif

1) Neutralize the battery acid 1st as noted above with Baking Soda & water.

2) Then neutralize the rust. This uses another special acid - Phosphoric Acid to neutralize the iron oxide. Ospho is great. POR15 - Metal Prep also works great. I sort of like Metal prep because it also has some Zinc Phosphate in it to help protect against flash rusting (yellow surface rust). Either product turns the rust to a black inert state.

3) Now neutralize the Ospho / Metal Prep with water a baking soda. Dry quickly with compressed air or heat gun and dry rags to prevent the yellow flash rust.

4) If the battery tray rust is heavy, I'd wire wheel it, and then repeat steps #2 & #3. Sometimes it takes a few cycles of #2, #3, #4 to get all the rust gone and/or turned to a nice black state that won't dig out with the wire wheel.

5) Paint with your preferred product (prime 1st).

I know that is a lot of extra work but short of replacing the tray, that is how I'd deal with any rust in the tray after the battery acid is cleaned up.
rhodyguy
Sprinkle the BS with a sieve on the area. Mist the BS with a spray bottle. Watch the foamy action.
drem914
After clean up, add a battery matt to the tray to protect any future issues

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELB...amp;SVSVSI=7026

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.