Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for rocker arms?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AndrewBlyholder
Rebuilding the motor for my '74 Creamsicle. (Overheated it at the track, threw a rod bearing, yes, very stupid.)

My rocker arms shafts are all still within factory spec but the I.D.'s on the rocker arms are past spec, but still within the factory wear limit. I could reuse them but would prefer to get replacements. But I'm having trouble finding a source for any new or refurbished ones. This will remain a street car motor so didn't feel the need to go to fancy billet rollers like Pauter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew B.
914Sixer
NLA for quite sometime. Might get some used ones over on theSamba.com under mid year buses.
bdstone914
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ May 4 2022, 11:27 PM) *

Rebuilding the motor for my '74 Creamsicle. (Overheated it at the track, threw a rod bearing, yes, very stupid.)

My rocker arms shafts are all still within factory spec but the I.D.'s on the rocker arms are past spec, but still within the factory wear limit. I could reuse them but would prefer to get replacements. But I'm having trouble finding a source for any new or refurbished ones. This will remain a street car motor so didn't feel the need to go to fancy billet rollers like Pauter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew B.

@AndrewBlyholder

I have used ones but do not have a way to measure wear other than checking for play on a rocker shaft.
brant
if your replacing the rockers...
it would be best if you found some 1.7 rockers to modify and cut the pushrods to set the valve train geometry

its a good upgrade
and your already replacing the rockers...
914werke
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 5 2022, 09:13 AM) *
I have used ones but do not have a way to measure wear other than checking for play on a rocker shaft.
I also have MANY 1.8/2.0 rockers from customers updating to 1.7's, but equally was curious what you are using to measure that tolerance. Snap gage & micrometer ?
Al Meredith
Try LNENGINEERING the now have the type 4 store and have new rocker shafts.
914Sixer
Why bother with 1.7 rockers, there are 1.8/2.0 German made swivel feet out there now for a little over $100?
914werke
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ May 5 2022, 10:25 AM) *
Try LNENGINEERING the now have the type 4 store and have new rocker shafts.
The OP was after the Rockers not the shafts.
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 5 2022, 11:25 AM) *
Why bother with 1.7 rockers, there are 1.8/2.0 German made swivel feet out there now for a little over $100?

Weight smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Doesn't Bontempi have about a zillion of them?

--DD
AndrewBlyholder
QUOTE(brant @ May 5 2022, 09:15 AM) *

if your replacing the rockers...
it would be best if you found some 1.7 rockers to modify and cut the pushrods to set the valve train geometry

What is the advantage of the 1.7 rockers? Are they a different rocker ratio?

Andrew
AndrewBlyholder
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 5 2022, 06:50 PM) *

Doesn't Bontempi have about a zillion of them?

--DD

Yes, I'm sure, but I was looking for new. I have 3 other sets of valve train in my parts store too, but they're all in about the same shape as this motor - ok, but verging toward the outside of the factory spec. I was hoping to find something that was less worn.

Andrew
914werke
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ May 6 2022, 09:19 PM) *
QUOTE(brant @ May 5 2022, 09:15 AM) *
What is the advantage of the 1.7 rockers? Are they a different rocker ratio?
No. All the OE T4 rockers are (approx) the same ratio. The 1.7 rockers accept a smaller 8mm adjuster (vs the 1.8 & 2.0L using a 10mm adjuster) that happens to be the same dimension as the OE 911 swivel foot adjuster. aktion035.gif
Arguably overkill for a street driven car but Im of the opinion any bolt on valve train improvements that can be made should be made.
AndrewBlyholder
Good advice. Thanks to all for helping.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.