Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank nipple orientation (again!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi: I continue to struggle with kinked hoses and have decided to start back at the beginning because I now think the inlet and outlet nipples are pointing in the wrong direction. I've read all the threads and know about length, looping and the access hole but I can't find a definitive answer re: which way the angled nipples should be pointing.

For reference, here's a clock face sketch. I'd appreciate hearing if there is any consensus on where they should be pointing.

Thanks,
Ron

Click to view attachment
MM1
I just did this for the first time. I would say in a non-standard way, however.

I have a carbureted car but put in fuel injection lines in case the next owner wants to go efi. As per Bruce Stone's excellent suggestion, I plugged the return to use as a drain in case I needed to remove the tank for any reason, so I connected it after tank installation as I found that easier.

In order to mount the return line from underneath, I clocked (referring to your clock above) the rear nipple around 2:30 and the front nipple around 3:30.

With 22" lines I found that I had to hold the proper loop all the way down - nearly rubbing skin off to get my arm out.

No leaks so far. I installed the 914Rubber screen kit with copper washer and ordered the other copper washer from AA.
JeffBowlsby
Great sketch!
914Toy
QUOTE(jrmdir @ May 6 2022, 09:45 AM) *

Hi: I continue to struggle with kinked hoses and have decided to start back at the beginning because I now think the inlet and outlet nipples are pointing in the wrong direction. I've read all the threads and know about length, looping and the access hole but I can't find a definitive answer re: which way the angled nipples should be pointing.

For reference, here's a clock face sketch. I'd appreciate hearing if there is any consensus on where they should be pointing.

Thanks,
Ron

Click to view attachment

I installed a 90 degree "elbow" with pressure pipe fitting threads and hose hardware on the nipple which solved these problems - per Steve's advice.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ May 6 2022, 10:04 AM) *

Great sketch!

agree.gif

That's awesome!

My FI 914, I clocked about the 7 position. I could reach hose clamps from under with the tank installed. I made sure to use enough line that bends were gradual. Not sure there is any better solution?
jrmdir
Hey everyone - thanks for the comments and advice.

I have everything apart and drained and am going to leave the nipples loose while checking from under the car. I've got the hoses connected to the firewall and have set them in an anti-clockwise loop. Will see if I can rotate the nipples to the best clocking and
re-create it when the tank is back out.

Will report back.

Ron
IronHillRestorations
The hoses can kink from a torsional twist in them too. Last time I installed a tank I put the nipples at about 2:00 with the excess hose in a loop. I clamped the end for the tunnel lines prior to install and tightened the tank ends after install. I also used a cheap USB endoscope to make sure the hoses weren’t crimped anywhere before I tightened the clamps. I did have the car on a lift which makes inspection easier.
MM1
We just did this on another car a few days ago. It helps to preload the (correct) twist before you tighten the clamps.
76-914
Use Gates Barrier hose. It is very stiff and won't kink easily. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.