Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where Do I Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
relentless
Apologies if this has already been seen/disgust (oops discussed)

Have our treasured cars become so rare someone would pay the asking price for this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224908525991?hash=...3wAAOSwl2NiQUvB

My Dad bought a brand new Datsun 240Z in 1970 for $3500. He bought a Kawasaki 900 Z1 new in 1973 for $1995. I just bought a 50th Anniversary Z900RS for $13.5K. They have a beautiful '73 on Ebay for $23K...

Is this the new normal, 4 cylinder 914's going for ridiculous prices, 40 grand or more in pristine condition? 6 cyl cars commanding prices like exotic Ferrari's??

I swear a few years ago you couldn't dream of prices like this. WTF is going on?

BillJ
I guess the secret is out and the stigma is over. Great driving air cooled porsches that look awesome and get a lot of smiles. The sixes are rare with a little over 3k made and far less than that on the road.
BillJ
And i do find it interesting that when they were cheap owners complained how undervalued and unloved their babies were. Now we complain that they cost too much. Lol
Front yard mechanic
I sold my z1 last year for 7500.00 the guy that bought it just sold it for12,000.00 drunk.gif
Badinfluence1
This is Beverly Hills Car Club...Well known for dishonesty, It looks like some one started a six conversion and 30 years later Bev hills liars are trying to pass it off as a real six, but if it was a real six they would show the VIN, or the engine bay- this is a scam.
930cabman
The world (not just 914) has gone mad.

Can anyone argue this??

My advice: hold on tight, it's probably going to get worse
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ May 7 2022, 07:58 AM) *

The world (not just 914) has gone mad.

Can anyone argue this??

My advice: hold on tight, it's probably going to get worse

agree.gif

As I like to say, prices have not gone up . . . the value of the dollar has gone down due to the Trillions of dollars printed lately.

I bought my 1st teener for $2700 in Oct 1987 and that was a running, driving car that was fully usable and reliable at the time.

In 2022 dollars:
Click to view attachment

If you don't already know that BLS under reports inflation, you do now. the latest round of inflation is not yet captured in the BLS calculator but you're feeling it in the real world.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a running, driving, reliable 914 for $6700. So not surprising that so many perceive that 914's have increased in value with $12-20k being the price for a 914 in good, daily driver shape.

Tangible assets like a 914 are going to go up as the dollar is devalued. Hold on for a bumpy ride ahead.
Rufus
My ‘67 Corvette (a daily driver) appreciated about 2.5x in 9 years during the ‘70’s … A time of stagflation.

Have owned my ‘67 911S since 2003. In that time its value peaked around 2014. The bubble burst and values came off for a few years, but now are back up.

Will 914 prices keep going up at the current rate?

It appears the economy’s in for a period of more serious stagflation than the ‘70’s, or maybe even a significant pullback.

The answer wrt 914 prices depends on the economy. With stagflation prices may continue rising but at a slower rate. But in the event of a recession, prices of antique sports cars (a luxury) will pull back.

All JMHO

PS … as far as 914 values going up because of the weakening dollar.

I disagree. IMHO current high antique car values are a combination of inflation and a speculative bubble; not a weakening dollar. As of yesterday’s close the DxY’s at 103.6x after spending time above 104 this week. It spent most of the last 2 years below 97. Furthermore, the Euro (arguably the 2nd strongest market for 914’s) is weakening / rapidly approaching parity with the USD. Unless I miss something, these currency moves should be headwinds for foreign 914 buyers in $.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2022, 07:16 AM) *

What's funny is that your evidence does not support your thesis at all. If the cars were selling for ~$7K, that would be in line with the CPI results you are showing.

They're going for at least double, so the effect of inflation is less than half of the result.

Some of it is inflation, sure, but some of it is people finally understanding how cool and fun 914s are, and some of it is speculation and "collectors".

--DD
mepstein
One day that car will look like a steal but it’s not for me.
Jonathan Livesay
Already been discussed (disgusted?).
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=358965
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 7 2022, 02:28 PM) *

What's funny is that your evidence does not support your thesis at all. If the cars were selling for ~$7K, that would be in line with the CPI results you are showing.

They're going for at least double, so the effect of inflation is less than half of the result.

Some of it is inflation, sure, but some of it is people finally understanding how cool and fun 914s are, and some of it is speculation and "collectors".

--DD

I think you missed the point that I made that CPI not reflecting reality of money that was recently printed in the last two years.

Click to view attachment

Real world inflation always leads the CPI.

There is also an argument to be made that CPI is understated in general, and that if CPI were calculated in exactly the same basket of goods as it was in the 70's and 80's we'd be seeing even higher stated inflation in 2022.

I don't disagree some of the 914 price increase is due to it finally getting recognition.

In the end, if you think 914 prices are high now, let's revisit this topic in 10 years.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 7 2022, 03:25 PM) *

One day that car will look like a steal but it’s not for me.

agree.gif
930cabman
Could our 914 ever reach the 356 numbers? For a decent/6 they are already close
fixer34
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ May 7 2022, 02:45 PM) *

As noted, this has already been 'discussed'. BHCC has a bit of a reputation for trying to sell a silk purse made from a pig's ear.
It appears to be a real -6 (but not a '72), or someone went to a lot of trouble to install the correct steering column and left side ignition as well as the engine mounting. People have bought a lot worse to restore...
I did get a chuckle on the interior; everything beat to s**t, but the center plastic tray looks new/pristine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.