Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checklist for 914 Purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
First, let me apologize if this is covered somewhere on the site. I am new to 914world.com and I tried to search old posts and look in the “classic” posts section for something like this.

I am looking to purchase a 914 and need to build a checklist that I can use to evaluate a car. I am not a total stranger to the car as I had two different 914s while in College (late 1980s) and worked on my own cars (most difficult job was replacement of 2nd gear syncro). I also have to say I am very excited about finding 914world.com as it looks like everyone is really knowledgeable! It was hard to find a community like this and this level of information back when I had my cars!

Anyhow, the goal is to find a car that I will use for Autocross and Track use. My #1 criterion is that the body be in reasonably good shape. While I am not adverse to fixing some rust issues if the price is right, I would rather focus on fixing or improving mechanical items vs. cutting out and welding in replacement parts. Also, as I expect to ultimately make this a track car, so finding a car with stock EFI is not that important to me. In addition to the basic car questions, I am pretty new to the concept of buying a car via something like eBay, so if anyone can offer any tips on how to go about that as well as vetting the condition of a car from a remote location, I would love the hear about it. I DON’T want to be burnt on an eBay purchase.

So, in no particular order, these are the items I may ask a seller about and/or try to inspect myself. I know a list like this could go on and on, but I am trying to hit the high points as well as think of items that are specific to the 914. Also if I am able to edit this post, I will edit the list below based upon your ideas…

Basic Body Items

Rust - Battery tray and Hell Hole.
Rust - Longitudinal
Rust - Sail panels
Rust - Rear trunk floor
Rust - Front trunk floor
Rust - Floor/rear bulkhead intersection in passenger compartment
Rust - Seat rails
Rust - Rear control arm mounts
Ripped out clutch cable tube
Condition of rear trunk hinges
Do the doors open and close easily with people in the car
Any previous wreck repair
Existing dents and dings
Any missing trim

Engine

Get the code from the engine
Ask about rebuild history
EFI or aftermarket Carburetor(s)
Oil leaks
Condition of hoses, belts, wires?
Maintenance schedule
How much oil does it use
Any non-stock modifications

Transmission and Drivetrain

Ears on transmission are not broken?
Condition of clutch
Condition of linkage
Condition of syncros
Condition of CV joints
Condition of drive shafts

Suspension/Brakes/Wheels

Condition of shocks
Conditions of springs/torsion bars
Condition of bushings
Condition of front and rear disks
Condition of front and rear calipers
Working emergency brake
Condition of master cylinder/pedal cluster
Last time fluid was replaced
What wheels are included
What is the condition of the wheels
What is the condition of the tires

Interior/Electrical

Working speedometer
Working odometer
Working gauges (fuel, etc.)
Condition of dash
Condition of carpet, seats, etc.
Condition of top
Any known electrical problems
Any non-stock electrical repairs

General

Clear title
Is car currently in drivable condition
Any other non-stock modifications

Any I missing anything major? Any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks!
sandman
Your missing one very important item. Do not trust what the seller tells you. Do not trust what the seller tells you. Do not trust a third parties opinion. Touch car, start car, personal go through car with fine tooth comb. Be very careful trusting anyone you don't know, that includes anyone on this web club. I speak from personal experience. With that said, goodluck with finding a car that will be everything you want it to be. biggrin.gif
Richard Casto
icon_bump.gif

...and a follow up question...

If I was to be considering an out of state car that I can't physically examine myself, are there any tips/tricks on having someone else do a PPI?
sandman
Be careful. What responsibility does the person who is doing the PPI have? Are you commissioning them? Your still out of luck if what you think and they think differ. Your stuck with the car and you have no recourse, I speak from experience. I'd been better off flying out to the west coast, looking at the car and flying back. It would of saved me thousands of dollars and considerable heartache. Get a hundred pictures from all angles, detailed rundown as you had previously posted on all those items. If all is well after that, fly out and see, touch, start car for yourself. Trust no one other then yourself and you'll have no one else to blame. Good luck.. biggrin.gif
lapuwali
I'd ask people on the board to do a PPI on a long-distance car BEFORE I travelled to go see it myself. This gives you at least some chance of screening out obviously bad and misrepresented cars before ponying up the money to fly somewhere.

Pictures alone are almost never enough. Longs bad enough their on the verge of collapse can be disguised well enough that you couldn't tell even by looking at them in person. A screwdriver shoved at them, however, never lies...

sgomes
No need to appologize. Welcome to the madness!

Looks like you have a pretty good list started there. I would trust most people on here to do a PPI.

Who do we have in NC that can do a PPI? Anyone? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (sandman @ Aug 4 2005, 05:06 PM)
Trust no one other then yourself

while that might be good advice for a lot of things in live, we *DO* have quite a few very knowledgeable guys here on the board that are very well capable of doing a trustworthy PPI for you ...

not all sheep are black, if you know what i mean ... wink.gif

a good way to get some answers is to post lots of pics of a car in question here and let people here rip it apart for you!
then, once you found one that looks and sounds OK, you can still get someone to do a PPI for you.

that should get you close!
beerchug.gif Andy

PS: oh, and welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif
goose2
Welcome Richard,
In spite of the occasional contrary opinion, I think you'll find that 99.9% of the members here are knowegable, honest, and eager to help a fellow enthusiast. I'm relatively new to the 914 group myself and I'm continually amazed by the quality of this bunch. Good luck with your car search.
sandman
I'm not knocking PPI's. I think that the vast majority of club members are honest and are more then willing to help one another. I've found this club site to have a wealth of information that is unmatched anywhere. Perhaps I should of had a PPI done by a club member. Would of saved me time and money. Good Luck with your car purchase. biggrin.gif
Richard Casto
Thanks for the tips. I am going to go with my list (have already added to it since I have posted). I just wanted to make sure it I wasn't missing anything.

If I find a prospect that is so far away I can’t easily look over the car, I will probably post to see if I can find someone on the forum to do a PPI for me. Right now, I am trying to find something relatively close (a state or two away) so that I can look at the car myself. As I have had two 914s previously I feel like I should be able to keep myself from being burnt if I do the PPI myself (at least as far as condition of the body goes).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.