Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best engine stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jimbo409
What is the best engine stand for a 914 engine
nditiz1
Any of the harbour freight ones will be fine. You can use the yoke that comes with it, but I dont recommend it. There is a guy on the samba that sells 4,5,6 bar yokes. I have his 4 version, actually a few. The are beefy enough to hold a 3.0. I run it on the 914 engine as well. If I wasn't so cheap I might have the engine stand with no center bar. The bar gets in the way when raising and lowering the engine without a hoist. The stand with two legs that kick out takes up a little more room, but im pretty sure you can run a table or trans jack in the center to get the yoke into the holder.
live free & drive
This one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/70854...gine-stand.html

Jett
QUOTE(live free & drive @ May 7 2022, 08:14 PM) *

It is very interesting, but looks like a prototype. Can these be purchased?
mlindner
If you weld build like this one, it is a copy of the engine stands Jerry Woods use on very heavy 911 turbo. Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Jett @ May 7 2022, 11:44 PM) *

QUOTE(live free & drive @ May 7 2022, 08:14 PM) *

It is very interesting, but looks like a prototype. Can these be purchased?

Thread is 10 years old.
Mark Henry
The stand in the link is a 1200lb stand. I like these the best as they're stable and the legs fold for storage. I trust this stand for building 996/7 engines, fully dressed with exhaust these engines are over 500lb and ballpark 6' wide.
One thing with all stands is they're tilted nose up, I cut the head of the stand so a fully dressed engine sits level.
To critique the stand in the link, I don't think the lift is heavy enough to lift a dressed T4, IMO the crank fixture is too low and it will no longer fold for easy storage.

The adapter for T4 don't get the 5 arm, as you can't get the stock #3 piston pin passed the center arm. BTW this isn't an issue with aftermarket pistons with shorter than stock pins. The 3 or 4 arm is more than enough for a T4, as long as it has a strong enough half ring.

The el'cheapo two arm adapters are a total POS, don't even waste your money on one.
DaveB
I don't know if this is the best but it gets the jobs done:

Click to view attachment

It's an engine stand from Harbor Freight and the 4 arm yoke from VintageWorldTools in Rouge Vally Oregon. Kevin and Chris are the folks on TheSamba, also look under VW Alley. The four arm stands are around $125. I drop the engine and transmission, separate them, attach the 4 arm to the engine and then hoist it up and slide the yoke into the engine stand. Even kept the heat exchangers on it for the transfer. I take the engine stands apart when I am done and store them in a cabinet.

Get at least a 4 arm engine stand yolk. These adapters attach to one side of the case, so you can separate it and work on it.

DaveB
bkrantz
FYI, some of the Type 4 yokes, depending on mounting, can interfere (barely) with piston pin removal and installation. A little grinding takes care of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.