Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Cap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbanders
Looks like I need a new gas cap. I don't need a concours cap, I need a cap that works and keeps fumes and fuel in the tank where they belong. Thanks...
Jett
The 73 and 75 caps work well if there is a good gasket/seal.
pbanders
Will a new gasket work? Cheaper and I keep the original metal cap. Think I'll try this first.

https://914rubber.com/seal-for-steel-gas-cap-1
VegasRacer
Yes. The new rubber gaskets from 914 Rubber are a million times better than the old cork ones.
Jett
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ May 8 2022, 06:39 AM) *

Yes. The new rubber gaskets from 914 Rubber are a million times better than the old cork ones.

+1
pbanders
New 914Rubber gas cap seal worked perfectly. No fuel in the filler flange surround after filling up all the way and driving around. Thanks for the recommendation.
stickyfingers
What is the best way to remove the old gasket and replace it with the one I received from 914Rubber?

Click to view attachment
stickyfingers
I actually just pushed the metal insert down as it’s spring loaded (lol. Sorry for the dumb question) however I just put the rubber gasket on top of the existing red one.
worn
QUOTE(stickyfingers @ Aug 12 2022, 03:10 PM) *

I actually just pushed the metal insert down as it’s spring loaded (lol. Sorry for the dumb question) however I just put the rubber gasket on top of the existing red one.

Sounds okay. I notice a gas smell for a few miles after fill up, or for longer if I forget to put the cap on.
Mikey914
The old seal is paper, you can use a pick to remove. The Viton one we make just stretches into place.

Piece of trivia, smell the new gasket we send out. It will have a faint cinnamon smell.
This is how we keep it straight from the EPDM gasket material (which will not hold up for this application). biggrin.gif
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 12 2022, 09:04 PM) *

The old seal is paper, you can use a pick to remove. The Viton one we make just stretches into place.

Piece of trivia, smell the new gasket we send out. It will have a faint cinnamon smell.
This is how we keep it straight from the EPDM gasket material (which will not hold up for this application). biggrin.gif

Thanks. Figured as much but for now the rubber seal sits on top of the Viton one and seems provide a real strong seal - no fuel smell at all that I've noticed - I used to smell it in the garage where the car is parked but so far 24 hours later it seems to have disappeared. Hopefully it was just the seal and not a pin hole in my fuel tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.