Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations for Tying Short Rear Springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
With my most recent ride height adjustment my rear springs are too short for the perch positions. Any recommended methods for tying the springs to upper and/or lower perches?
r_towle
Do you mean the springs are too short when you jack up the car?
If yes, drill three holes in the top, fixed position perch, and zip tie the spring , properly aligned, to the top perch to prevent it from rotating on the upper perch, and as you put the car back on the ground, make sure tge lower perches align properly
Mark Henry
If you have the new style Bilsteins you can drill and zip-tie the top and bottom perches, the lower perch will ride up the shock when you lift the car. The older style you can't zip-tie to lower perches and have to clock the springs as above.

BTW if your springs are too short you have aftermarket progressive springs, I think 150lbs was the most common, but they come in several ratings.
Superhawk996
Helper spring.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 9 2022, 07:24 AM) *

Helper spring.

No, with progressives there's no provision for helper springs and since the top perch can rotate freely I doubt it would help keep the lower perch in the correct place.
Superhawk996
Mark,

You've got me thinking my response wasn't well thought out. I just went and looked at my Bilstein rears.

I think the main issue is the 914 spring is an open end spring.

Helpers are largely designed for use with coil overs with springs that have a flat, closed & ground end form.

I don't think helpers will sit properly in the spring perches.
white1975
i have ritchie ginther 180 lb springs safety wired to bottom and top 80s Billsteins
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. I went with my springs wired only to the upper perch for now. The lower perch is close enough to locate the spring end.
Mark Henry
That's the newer perch style that will ride up the shock tube if you zip-tie the perches top and bottom (progressive springs).

As the spring works it actually twists as it goes up and down, slowly spinning the spring. A big bump or jacking the car up and the lower perch can get spun off of it's index with progressives, so I do recommend drilling and zip-tie (or safety wire) the bottom perch on this style of perch.

BTW the stock style spring doesn't have this issue (IMO) as it's always sprung.
CHIZ 914
agree.gif
bkrantz
^Nice. But teasing. I had a similar set up on my 914 race car.
r_towle
QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 9 2022, 10:12 PM) *

Thanks, guys. I went with my springs wired only to the upper perch for now. The lower perch is close enough to locate the spring end.

That is what I have.
Zip tied the top
I watch when lowering to twist bottom perch if required.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.