Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Gauge Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
The shop replaced my tank with a new one from AA. Afterward, fuel gauge won't register past a bit over 1/4 when full. But once fuel gets below that point, needle starts to move down.

Did they just put it back in incorrectly? Where does this go & what does it look like? Can I pull it myself and check it out? Maybe it's just "stuck"? Thanks.
Cairo94507
Had the same issue with my gauge. Removed sender and replaced- problem solved. Best part was it was super easy. Remove the collar around the fuel inlet and you will see the sender. beerchug.gif
iankarr
My guess is that the float is stuck on some crud which won't allow it to move higher when the tank is more than 1/4 full. DAMN...I just did this on Sunday and thought "I should video" but I didn't. Pretty simply process to dissasemble and inspect.

Remove the expansion tank, pull off the fuel sender plug, remove the bolts holding the sender in. Pull the unit (have a towel handy for the dripping gas) and undo the tiny nut on the bottom. Carefully wiggle the aluminum cylinder away from the top. You probably just need to clean the cener shaft a bit. Be careful of the thin wires on the sides Then do the reverse to put it all back in.
Robarabian
I just installed a new sender in my 71. When you buy them new, there is a small pin installed to keep the float from moving up and down, mostly up. Take it out and make sure they pulled the pin out. IF it is in, the float cant move upward. You should be able to hold it upside down and hear the float move to the top, then turn it 180 and hear it move to the other end. There is a small sticker that is usually over the pin...It sounds like it is being prevented from reaching full..
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(Robarabian @ May 10 2022, 10:12 PM) *

I just installed a new sender in my 71. When you buy them new, there is a small pin installed to keep the float from moving up and down, mostly up. Take it out and make sure they pulled the pin out. IF it is in, the float cant move upward. You should be able to hold it upside down and hear the float move to the top, then turn it 180 and hear it move to the other end. There is a small sticker that is usually over the pin...It sounds like it is being prevented from reaching full..

Sounded like a great theory, so had to test it. With the pin in, I got just a very small bump up from empty, almost imperceptible movement.
Click to view attachment

With the pin out, of course it moved full travel.
Click to view attachment

Any case, as other people have said, likely something jamming the movement of the float inside the tube. Pop her open and have a look.

Dan

Rick986
QUOTE(iankarr @ May 10 2022, 02:31 PM) *

My guess is that the float is stuck on some crud which won't allow it to move higher when the tank is more than 1/4 full. DAMN...I just did this on Sunday and thought "I should video" but I didn't. Pretty simply process to dissasemble and inspect.

Remove the expansion tank, pull off the fuel sender plug, remove the bolts holding the sender in. Pull the unit (have a towel handy for the dripping gas) and undo the tiny nut on the bottom. Carefully wiggle the aluminum cylinder away from the top. You probably just need to clean the cener shaft a bit. Be careful of the thin wires on the sides Then do the reverse to put it all back in.

Thanks Ian. You're always a great help!
Rick986
Thanks everyone for the great insight. I shall tackle this one over the weekend!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.