Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legal to make "holes" in roll bar for PCA or SCCA?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Had a full cage on my last car done by Tony at TC Design , with my new car, I just want a roll bar as outlined in the red...however, I'd like to have a removable petty bar(to be installed at the auto-x course or track)

what I am trying to figure out is whether or not it's acceptable to drill thru holes and weld in strenghtening tubes into the rollbar for the hardware to pass thru.

Mueller
opps...forgot the outline picture....
URY914
I had holes like that in my main hoop and made it thru a PCA tech inspection.
Depends on how close they look.

P
Mueller
the petty bar would mount with something similar to this...
Howard
OK in POC. But mine had larger diam sleeves at the 'joints'. Bolted thru both.
Mueller
QUOTE (Howard @ Aug 2 2005, 07:17 PM)
OK in POC. But mine had larger diam sleeves at the 'joints'. Bolted thru both.

so the "sleeves" just stayed on when the bar was removed?
Howard
No, wish I had a better picture (took cage out). Sawed thru the main bar. Cut larger diam sleeve. Drilled both. Bolted back together.
Then unbolt, remove center section and sleeves. Stub was covered with foam for street use.
ChrisFoley
If you do it such that there is no perceived weakness there should be no problem. Your idea of welded in sleeves for the bolts to pass through looks fine to me.
The GCR has pictures of a couple of acceptable methods of bolt together joints. I think you can access the GCR online at SCCAdotcom.
MattR
Why not weld on a bracket?
Mueller
QUOTE (MattR @ Aug 2 2005, 08:54 PM)
Why not weld on a bracket?

I could, I want to avoid the "normal" type of bracket which protrudes into the cabin. Ideally you want the axis of the petty bar to line up with the centerline of the mating tube.

I'm betting that just about any design (as long as it's safe and strong) will be sufficient and better than not having anything at all....I was just fishing to see if anyone had done something "different" smile.gif smash.gif
mikerose
Hi Mike like this

cool_shades.gif
mikerose
More

cool_shades.gif
mikerose
cool_shades.gif
mikerose
cool_shades.gif
Brett W
You can make the holes as long as you make a bushing that you can weld into the tube. Check out how this car was done:
Brett W
damn forgot to add the pic.

Terrance
Mike, you can do it as stated somewhere above. Just need a "bushing". I think it's the recomended way to do it anyways.

I might have a pic somewhere
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.