Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal Canister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbanders
Just bought a "late"-style charcoal canister off eBay. I bought it because it's plastic and I can remove the end cap and refill it with fresh charcoal pellets, which is difficult/impossible to do with the early metal canister.

My question is the mounting strap. Will the early strap work with the late canister, or will I need to swap or modify the strap?
Shivers
There is a good pic of the area in this thread, first picture.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=345689
914werke
The canisters are pretty much the same dimensions so interchangeable as far as the (3) straps are concerned.
pbanders
QUOTE(Shivers @ May 11 2022, 05:05 PM) *

Thanks, that's an early canister like mine. I'm trying to figure out if the strap you see in the pic that's holding the early style canister in position will work with the late style plastic canister. Looks like it should, but 40 years of experience with my car has taught me that looks can be deceiving...
Shivers
Rich says they are ^^^. Aaah, slap it in there and see what happens. smile.gif
wonkipop
Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(pbanders @ May 11 2022, 04:12 PM) *

Thanks, that's an early canister like mine. I'm trying to figure out if the strap you see in the pic that's holding the early style canister in position will work with the late style plastic canister. Looks like it should, but 40 years of experience with my car has taught me that looks can be deceiving...

It should. AFAIK they only made one style of strap that mounts to the tank and it was used through early 74 cars with the plastic canister. The 2 later style of straps wrapped around the entire can and attached to the chassis. The late 74 strap (which is a VW part number) mounted to a small stud on the rear engine bulkhead and the 75+ strap mounts on the battery tie down bolt.
pbanders
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 11 2022, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ May 11 2022, 04:12 PM) *

It should. AFAIK they only made one style of strap that mounts to the tank and it was used through early 74 cars with the plastic canister. The 2 later style of straps wrapped around the entire can and attached to the chassis. The late 74 strap (which is a VW part number) mounted to a small stud on the rear engine bulkhead and the 75+ strap mounts on the battery tie down bolt.

Perfect, thanks.
Montreal914

The late 74 strap (which is a VW part number) mounted to a small stud on the rear engine bulkhead...

@JamesM Is there a part number or vehicle model and year for this? smile.gif

I am looking at relocating the canister to the back in my 73. I've already procured a plastic canister for the ease of refilling.

Thanks!
JamesM
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 12 2022, 06:32 AM) *

The late 74 strap (which is a VW part number) mounted to a small stud on the rear engine bulkhead...

I am looking at relocating the canister to the back in my 73. I've already procured a plastic canister for the ease of refilling.

Thanks!

I would have to do some digging to find the part number again but if you are relocating to the rear on a 73 I would probably look for the 75+ strap instead as they 1.seem to be easier to come by and 2. the late 74 mounting location requires a small stud on the rear bulkhead that i believe only exists only on the late 74 cars where as the 75 strap mounts to the battery hold down bolt.

The VW part used on the late 74 strap when used in the VW application it got welded to the chassis so there are not as many of them around as you might suspect for being a VW part. ill see if i can find the number...
JamesM

Is there a part number or vehicle model and year for this? smile.gif

I believe these are the numbers for all 3 parts

Pre 74(Tank Mount): 91420106110
Late 74(rear bulkhead mount): 113809169
75+ (battery tray mount): 91420109510
wonkipop
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 12 2022, 10:08 AM) *

Thanks!

I would have to do some digging to find the part number again but if you are relocating to the rear on a 73 I would probably look for the 75+ strap instead as they 1.seem to be easier to come by and 2. the late 74 mounting location requires a small stud on the rear bulkhead that i believe only exists only on the late 74 cars where as the 75 strap mounts to the battery hold down bolt.

The VW part used on the late 74 strap when used in the VW application it got welded to the chassis so there are not as many of them around as you might suspect for being a VW part. ill see if i can find the number...

just about all the 74 1.8s have the engine bay mount.
changeover was nov 20 73.
given numbers for 75s made v 74s there would be just as many engine bay straps as the other second hand or in junkyard 914s? (EDIT - ie the two types of engine bay straps).

74 version mounts canister in a good spot out of the way.

theoretically there would be thousands upon thousands of the 74 style strap fixed to u/s of bus engine bay top sheet metal and in the rear wheel well of beetles. as noted, seemed to be spot welded on. might get one out with some judicious grinder use?

the info is in on how those things get plumbed up too.
the hose hook up changed with shift to engine bay cans.
if you are interested.
it will be up in the originality section soon.
some detail is there already. in EC-A and EC-B thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.