Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 yellow Koni's inserts ride
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pedrok
Hi,
How is the ride with the 911 Koni's yellow inserts?

Thanks
Pedro
Justinp71

Are you talking about a stock setup 914 with Koni Yellows? Meaning stock motor and springs? Swaybar?

I have stiffer springs and Koni yellows and a 19mm sway bar, handles great! Just like a 914 should. Its also smoother riding on the street than my gti was if that helps.
pedrok
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 11 2022, 09:20 PM) *

Are you talking about a stock setup 914 with Koni Yellows? Meaning stock motor and springs? Swaybar?

I have stiffer springs and Koni yellows and a 19mm sway bar, handles great! Just like a 914 should. Its also smoother riding on the street than my gti was if that helps.

Hi Justin,
I'm going to install the '77 911 red Koni struts, and want to use the koni yellow inserts 8641 1039Sport but these are from the 911 anyone has used this set up? I will use all stock with swaybar probably 100lb springs at back

Thanks
dhuckabay
Went through a lot of grief getting the Red Koni for my 911. The yellow does not fit, has a different boss on the bottom. May be a change as yours is older, mine was a 75. Tried a lot of versions of the yellow and none would fit.
rfinegan
I have Koni reds in the front 75 tubes and Koni yellow with coil over 120 springs and 19mm front sway bar and stop rear sway bar.
Great handling and ride is smooth and frim with no harshness or bounce.
both Koni are adjustable ,fronts (red)internal and rear (yellow)external
914Sixer
Koni Reds are HYDRAULIC (Oil) shocks. Koni Yellow are GAS
Jamie
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 12 2022, 04:16 AM) *

As a matter of general information, and my ignorance, is there a significant performance difference between gas and oil shocks used together on a car? confused24.gif
Steve
QUOTE(pedrok @ May 11 2022, 09:09 PM) *

Hi,

Thanks
Pedro

I'm running them with a Tarret 22mm sway bar and stock 911 torsion bars. They are less stiff than HD Bilstein inserts, when set to the softest setting.
Shivers
QUOTE(Jamie @ May 12 2022, 06:33 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 12 2022, 04:16 AM) *

As a matter of general information, and my ignorance, is there a significant performance difference between gas and oil shocks used together on a car? confused24.gif

I'm not so sure that reds has no gas at all, pressure keeps bubbles from forming. But the oil shock would give you the best ride. Softer smoother ride, if that is what you want from your 914. So called Gas shocks have a lot of pressure on the oil to keep the oil from bubbling in harsher conditions. Oil being forced through a small hole = dampening, oil full of bubbles through a small hole = little dampening.
Superhawk996
Koni hydraulic dampers are one of few dampers for our 914's that are not gas charged anymore. I think the reds used to be hydraulic only but now I think they also have red adjustables that are gas charged to add confusion. Maybe I'm the one who's confused. confused24.gif

Dampers do not have to be gas charged. The old school red hydraulics in particular are tuned for ride comfort over handling so damping oil aeration is not a big problem.

Most early vehicle dampers were not gas charged. Motorcycle forks being a great example. Simple dampers with valved pistons operating while submerged in oil.

Original gas charged Monotube dampers were invented in mid-late 50's but not widely used. i think Mercedes was 1st to introduce gas charged Monotube dampers in mid 50s. Bilstein struts for the 914 were an application of an inverted Monotube -- pretty trick for the 70's.

Gas charged twin tube dampers weren't used in domestic mass production until the 80's. I think that application was on Lincoln Continental.

From Koni FAQ
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(pedrok @ May 11 2022, 09:58 PM) *

Hi Justin,
I'm going to install the '97 911 red Koni struts, and want to use the koni yellow inserts 8641 1039Sport but these are from the 911 anyone has used this set up? I will use all stock with swaybar probably 100lb springs at back

Thanks

@pedrok
A 97 911 strut is very different. Is that a typo?
pedrok
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 12 2022, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(pedrok @ May 11 2022, 09:58 PM) *

Hi Justin,
I'm going to install the '97 911 red Koni struts, and want to use the koni yellow inserts 8641 1039Sport but these are from the 911 anyone has used this set up? I will use all stock with swaybar probably 100lb springs at back

Thanks

@pedrok
A 97 911 strut is very different. Is that a typo?

Hi Bdstone,
Sorry, yes is a 1977 911
pedrok
QUOTE(Steve @ May 12 2022, 07:00 AM) *

Hi,

Thanks
Pedro

I'm running them with a Tarret 22mm sway bar and stock 911 torsion bars. They are less stiff than HD Bilstein inserts, when set to the softest setting.

Hi Steve,
Since the 911 yellow inserts have diferent valving are not made for 914, had doubts how will work
At rear you have the 914 yellows?
Thanks
Pedro
Steve
QUOTE(pedrok @ May 12 2022, 12:23 PM) *

Hi,

Thanks
Pedro

Hi Steve,
Since the 911 yellow inserts have diferent valving are not made for 914, had me doubts how will work
Thanks
Pedro

According to Paragon, both will work in an early 911 or 914 Boge Strut. He said the 914 Koni insert is softer. I am also running Koni yellow in the rear. I did add bump stops since Bilstein does not require them.
pedrok
QUOTE(Steve @ May 12 2022, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(pedrok @ May 12 2022, 12:23 PM) *

Hi,

Thanks
Pedro

Hi Steve,
Since the 911 yellow inserts have diferent valving are not made for 914, had me doubts how will work
Thanks
Pedro

According to Paragon, both will work in an early 911 or 914 Boge Strut. He said the 914 Koni insert is softer. I am also running Koni yellow in the rear. I did add bump stops since Bilstein does not require them.

Great! Will go with Koni Yellows

Pedro
pedrok
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 12 2022, 07:43 AM) *

Koni hydraulic dampers are one of few dampers for our 914's that are not gas charged anymore. I think the reds used to be hydraulic only but now I think they also have red adjustables that are gas charged to add confusion. Maybe I'm the one who's confused. confused24.gif

Dampers do not have to be gas charged. The old school red hydraulics in particular are tuned for ride comfort over handling so damping oil aeration is not a big problem.

Most early vehicle dampers were not gas charged. Motorcycle forks being a great example. Simple dampers with valved pistons operating while submerged in oil.

Original gas charged Monotube dampers were invented in mid-late 50's but not widely used. i think Mercedes was 1st to introduce gas charged Monotube dampers in mid 50s. Bilstein struts for the 914 were an application of an inverted Monotube -- pretty trick for the 70's.

Gas charged twin tube dampers weren't used in domestic mass production until the 80's. I think that application was on Lincoln Continental.

From Koni FAQ
Click to view attachment

Good info!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.