Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
In preparation for the 914 gathering in July, I'm preparing to replace my clutch and accelerator cable. I was searching YouTube for a video and found one, but in the comments someone had stated that driving without the pedal board will actually stretch the cables. Is this true? I drive without the board for extra room ( I wear a size 18 shoe). As it is I have to take off my shoes to drive. Do I need to reinstall the pedal board?
lierofox
Pedal board has the stopper on it, but I imagine it's more a matter of if your clutch is adjusted such that the throwout arm can bottom out on the transmission casing before the clutch pedal hits the bulkhead without the pedal board/stopper there to prevent it, then that would slowly stretch the clutch cable.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(lierofox @ May 13 2022, 03:34 PM) *

Pedal board has the stopper on it, but I imagine it's more a matter of if your clutch is adjusted such that the throwout arm can bottom out on the transmission casing before the clutch pedal hits the bulkhead without the pedal board/stopper there to prevent it, then that would slowly stretch the clutch cable.

Makes sense, thank you! I'll be sure to adjust it with this in mind.
mgphoto
Without the stop, the clutch tube will eventually pull though the body of the car at the firewall, over pushing the clutch pedal will cause the throw out bearing fork to strike the transmission case, this will cause the weakest point to fail the sheet metal.
76-914
There should be a place to thread in a bolt on the back side of the clutch pedal. Use a nut to lock it in place once you get the desired length set. beerchug.gif
Steve
The throttle cable also requires the pedal board.
IronHillRestorations
Not having a pedal board will also stress the pressure plate.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 13 2022, 03:37 PM) *

Without the stop, the clutch tube will eventually pull though the body of the car at the firewall, over pushing the clutch pedal will cause the throw out bearing fork to strike the transmission case, this will cause the weakest point to fail the sheet metal.

totally agree, we have seen WAY too many clutch tubes rip loose and expensive and relatively complicated repair
brant
You need to have a pedal board. Required
VaccaRabite
Yup. You need that pedal board, or at least yo need to make a custom stop for both the clutch and throttle cable. But really, just use the pedal board and adjust the stops.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.