Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6’5” and need to clear roll bar.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
Ok, title says it all… Researching what it will take to build an Autocross/Track car. With roll bar or cage installed in car I need to make sure I can pass the “broomstick test”. I haven’t finished reading all of the SCCA GCR and Solo I rules yet, so I don’t know exactly how much clearance I need with my helmet on. But it there any other guys on the “large” side have experience with making this work in a “track” car?

I am guessing that this is going to be a case of aggressively trying to make sure that whatever cage I use (custom or otherwise) is as physically as close to the top as possible (and yes, I would like for the top to be able to be installed), seat selection, and seat mounting tricks (i.e. custom lowered rails).

I guess I am also curious as to what type of aftermarket seats fit well in the car? In addition to being 6’5” I am 250 lbs, so a seat that is narrow in the hip area is not going to work.

Thanks,

Richard
URY914
I would recommend talking to RacerChris here. He races his 914 in SCCA and is pretty tall and will know the rules. I'm 6'-3" and was able to get under mine with the roof on in PCA club racing.

The top of the stock seat is about 3-4 inches above the floor. So you can lower yourself by getting the correct seat and mounting it to the floor.

Talk to Chris,

Paul
d914
remove cross bar and move it or replacement forward if needed. Mount seat to floor with scca backing plates or large fender washers. Remove most of the foam in the bottom of the seat. Had a friend mount an ultra shield(AL road race seat) to the floor, mighty low....
smg914
An old trick is to just remove the driver's side seat cushion. For a dude your size this just might be perfect for you. You can always put a small square piece of foam in it's place for comfort. With the cushion removed, you get quite a bit of lateral support from the side bolsters which now hold you in the seat pretty good.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Richard Casto @ Aug 2 2005, 06:41 PM)
What seat and mounting tricks will work?

easy, cut off the support rail in front of the seat, remove the stock seat mounts, get racing seats with low rails and bolt them to the floor!

and make sure you use *huge* washers on both sides of the floorpan ...
smash.gif Andy
Richard Casto
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 2 2005, 07:06 PM)
An old trick is to just remove the driver's side seat cushion.  For a dude your size this just might be perfect for you.

I have tried a friends 914 that has the cushion out. It does help, but with helmet on, I still touch the top of the car. So I may try to go lower. Also, I am probably going to replace the stock seat, so I am looking to see any any particular aftermarket seats seem to work well in the car.

I am probably NOT looking to do something as spartin as something like a Kirkey, but maybe a bit more like a Corbeau Forza, Forza II or FX1. Anyone know if any of these seat fit in the car well?
john rogers
My daughter is about 6 ft 2 in and we use an Ultra SHield seat with flat steel stock to mount it to the floor. Plenty of head room for us. Here's a pict or two of the mounting.
john rogers
Another
Bigbohr
That looks like a comfy seat ...
smg914
I had a Corbeau Forza in my 914-4 race car. It was a little tight fit but it did fit. In my 914-6 race car I had a MOMO Acropolis which also fit fine. I'm a little over 5' 10" and weigh 155 pounds. However, as big as you are I think you would have a problem with these seats. I think the Kirkey may be your best bet.
Flat VW
QUOTE (john rogers @ Aug 2 2005, 08:23 PM)
My daughter is about 6 ft 2 in and we use an Ultra SHield seat with flat steel stock to mount it to the floor. Plenty of head room for us. Here's a pict or two of the mounting.

I think I might be speaking for everyone here by saying I would have prefered a photo of your daughter!!

J w00t.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (Richard Casto @ Aug 2 2005, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 2 2005, 07:06 PM)
An old trick is to just remove the driver's side seat cushion.  For a dude your size this just might be perfect for you.

I have tried a friends 914 that has the cushion out. It does help, but with helmet on, I still touch the top of the car. So I may try to go lower. Also, I am probably going to replace the stock seat, so I am looking to see any any particular aftermarket seats seem to work well in the car.

I am probably NOT looking to do something as spartin as something like a Kirkey, but maybe a bit more like a Corbeau Forza, Forza II or FX1. Anyone know if any of these seat fit in the car well?

Richard, I have a similar issue. Have you removed your backpad? You do get a little more out of your stock seat with it out, still not enough for me. I think however that with a race seat mounted on the floor you should be ok. I have heard of some people dropping their floor an inch or two to accomodate tall drivers.
Richard Casto
Thanks for the help. It is good to know that I am not the only one who has to deal with this type of problem. I think that once I buy a new car, I can seriously shop for seats as well as figure out how I will do the roll cage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.