Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker replacement 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Stowers
Hi,
How hard is it to remove/replace exhaust rocker arms with the engine in the car?
Left hand side
Thanks
Shivers
Hi David

I gave a 914 4 answer, sorry. Man That is tight in there with a 6
Luke M
QUOTE(David Stowers @ May 14 2022, 11:55 PM) *

Hi,
How hard is it to remove/replace exhaust rocker arms with the engine in the car?
Left hand side
Thanks

It's a pain but it can be done. I've done it after an over rev at the Glenn.
I was way younger and more bendy back then.. Lol
Hopefully the rocker shafts and hardware come out easy. Sometimes you'll need to tap the shafts out in which case it makes it difficult but not impossible to do. Make sure to torque hardware to specs after installed.
mb911
I have done it. Not easy but doable.
ClayPerrine
I drop the engine in a six to adjust the valves. It's not hard to drop, and you have to drain the oil anyway, so there is not a lot left to disconnect. And it is much easier to do maintenance with the engine out of the car.

Change the alternator belt (even if it doesn't need it), adjust the valves, and do a general clean up while it is out.

Clay
mlindner
David, are your lower rocker covers shaved that you can even remove with out dropping engine.
Cairo94507
I have 1 rocker arm shaft that is a little noisy. Not a big deal, but I hear it. Come winter, we will drop the motor to do a valve adjustment, address the rocker arm shaft, replace the alternator belt (thanks @ClayPerrine ) and address some transaxle issues. I just think it is much easier to drop the motor and have easy-peasy access to do all of that stuff. beerchug.gif
David Stowers
Thanks all, decided to drop it after having a closer look. Gonna double check my cam timings to see if that was the problem
brant
Easy to do in the car with the PMS motor mount that pivots
IronHillRestorations
IMHO you’ll have more grief than if you just drop the engine.
rgalla9146
Remove the engine.
For me the hardest part of engine removal is the oil dripping and the CV/drive shaft
removal/interference.
Surrender.
Don't try to save the CV gaskets ...they're done. Knock the inner CVs loose and remove the entire shaft with the stub axle attached. You'll probably have to remove the starter or the lower shock bolt on the drivers side. Only the shaft/stub on the pass. side.
This makes both removal and install easier.
The constant oil drip ? live with it......the price of life with a six cylinder
Also consider yourself a bit lucky......If you had earlier forged rockers the damage would likely have been much worse.
Please excuse my repetition. Repetition. Repetition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.