Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension "refresh" - what parts am I missing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I have a list of suspension parts I've either bought or plan to buy for my 73 and wanted to double check I'm not forgetting anything important. The car already has a 5 lug conversion and will mostly be used as a street car, although I have AX'd it in the past and may again in the future.

Originality wise the car is a complete mutt (and will be even more so once I'm done building it) so sticking to OEM parts isn't an issue. I like the adjustability of Konis and have run them on other cars, so it's just my personal preference over bilsteins.

Parts list:

FRONT
- Koni sport strut inserts (will these fit boge struts?)

- 914rubber control arm bushings (I bought a set of Rebel Racing sphericals years ago that have been gathering dust in my closet since, but from what I've read these will shake my teeth out on the street)

- Decambered ball joints

- turbo tie rods (already did this 12 months ago so will just reuse them)

- Bump steer spacers - I already fitted these when I pulled the fuel tank to do replace the fuel lines.

- My car has a 22mm weltmeister sway bar, but it's old and no matter what I've tried I can't get the drop links to stop binding and creaking, so I may update this with a Tarrett or some other brand - any recommendations?

[WHILE I'M IN THERE: FRONT]
- Does anyone rebuild steering racks?

- Does anyone rebuild pedal clusters, or is this something I can do myself? My clutch is squeaking like crazy and driving me nuts, so I figure now might be the time to do it.

- Wheel bearings >>> the rears were replaced 5 years ago but I've never done the fronts. They have no play in them, but I may just replace them anyway as I have no clue how old they are. Any recommendations on which brand is best?

REAR:
- Koni adjustable sports shocks
- 914rubber stainless steel trailing arm pivot shafts (already have from GB)
- 914 rubber rubber bushings (already have from GB)
- Rear axles (or should that be half shafts?) - I already have all the parts, just need to put them together.

[WHILE I'M IN THERE: REAR]
- Anything I'm forgetting?

Appreciate any tips on what I've completely overlooked here, or what might be worth doing while I'm in there.

Thanks
John
ndfrigi
QUOTE(john77 @ May 17 2022, 10:11 AM) *

I have a list of suspension parts I've either bought or plan to buy for my 73 and wanted to double check I'm not forgetting anything important. The car already has a 5 lug conversion and will mostly be used as a street car, although I have AX'd it in the past and may again in the future.

Originality wise the car is a complete mutt (and will be even more so once I'm done building it) so sticking to OEM parts isn't an issue. I like the adjustability of Konis and have run them on other cars, so it's just my personal preference over bilsteins.

Parts list:

FRONT

- 914rubber control arm bushings (I bought a set of Rebel Racing sphericals years ago that have been gathering dust in my closet since, but from what I've read these will shake my teeth out on the street)

- Decambered ball joints

- Bump steer spacers - I already fitted these when I pulled the fuel tank to do replace the fuel lines.

- My car has a 22mm weltmeister sway bar, but it's old and no matter what I've tried I can't get the drop links to stop binding and creaking, so I may update this with a Tarrett or some other brand - any recommendations?

reply: Check 914rubber for re building

- Does anyone rebuild pedal clusters, or is this something I can do myself? My clutch is squeaking like crazy and driving me nuts, so I figure now might be the time to do it.

reply: Bdstone (Bruce) do a great rebuild on pedals

- Wheel bearings >>> the rears were replaced 5 years ago but I've never done the fronts. They have no play in them, but I may just replace them anyway as I have no clue how old they are. Any recommendations on which brand is best?

REAR:
- Rear axles (or should that be half shafts?) - I already have all the parts, just need to put them together.

Appreciate any tips on what I've completely overlooked here, or what might be worth doing while I'm in there.

Thanks
John

john77
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 17 2022, 09:24 AM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ May 17 2022, 10:11 AM) *

Parts list:

FRONT

- Decambered ball joints

reply: Check 914rubber for re building

reply: Bdstone (Bruce) do a great rebuild on pedals

REAR:

Thanks
John

Thanks Ndfrigi, I'll pm Bruce and contact 914rubber.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.