Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro from Colorado
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shredtherad
Hey Hey! New member here from Longmont, Colorado and I wanted to say hello! I just bought a 73 914 1.7 and I am super excited to get it! It has not arrived yet and I was going to wait to post so I could drop some photos but I could not wait, was getting anxious.

I grew up in a Porsche household, I think my dad has been a PCA member for like 60 years maybe and I grew up going to PCA events and hanging around Porsches. I did not really take interest in them for a few reasons but mostly economical.

This last year I have become pretty nostalgic and was on the hunt for a 914 and finally pulled the trigger. My dad would be stoked!

The car I am getting needs some work for sure but I think is pretty solid and good start. First thing I will be doing some wheels and tires, it has steelies on it. Any suggestions or favorites? I want to enjoy the car a little bit this summer while working on it.

Thx.
76-914
Is this is a running and drivable car? Any known rust issues? Has allot to do with the order of repairs and "to do's". Congratulations and welcome to the sickness that is 914's. welcome.png
930cabman
welcome.png

Congrats on diving in to the pool of 914. How is she running? color? provide pics soon.

shredtherad
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 17 2022, 01:54 PM) *

Is this is a running and drivable car? Any known rust issues? Has allot to do with the order of repairs and "to do's". Congratulations and welcome to the sickness that is 914's. welcome.png

It is running and there are no known rust issues - hell hole, longitudal, etc... pretty solid car.
wonkipop
QUOTE(shredtherad @ May 17 2022, 01:47 PM) *

Hey Hey! New member here from Longmont, Colorado and I wanted to say hello! I just bought a 73 914 1.7 and I am super excited to get it! It has not arrived yet and I was going to wait to post so I could drop some photos but I could not wait, was getting anxious.

I grew up in a Porsche household, I think my dad has been a PCA member for like 60 years maybe and I grew up going to PCA events and hanging around Porsches. I did not really take interest in them for a few reasons but mostly economical.

This last year I have become pretty nostalgic and was on the hunt for a 914 and finally pulled the trigger. My dad would be stoked!

The car I am getting needs some work for sure but I think is pretty solid and good start. First thing I will be doing some wheels and tires, it has steelies on it. Any suggestions or favorites? I want to enjoy the car a little bit this summer while working on it.

Thx.

did you pick up the white car on BAT?
if you did i think you got hold of a good car.
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
brant
The white car on BAT was a Colorado car and sold by a member here
I’m just guessing this is not the same car because it would not need to be shipped

Shedtherad,

Nice to meet you!
I’m also in longmont
I would be happy to invite you out to my house for 914 talk and a garage beer!

We have an active local group and do some drives as well as hold events
It would be great to meet in person and lots of resources around here
Brant
ValcoOscar
welcome.png

Welcome to the madness beerchug.gif

Please post photos when you get a chance.

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Oscar
Big Len
You're radchad.
I thought you did well buying your car. Congrats.
It may be easier to simply post a link to your auction so everyone can see the pics in detail.
Like I said, get that baby right, then take it to the 914 Red Rocks Classic in SLC. Scroll down a page or two and you'll see it's heading is in red.
Best of luck with the car !!
Front yard mechanic
Welcome and keep those steel wheels in the garage they may grow on you!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ May 17 2022, 04:14 PM) *

agree.gif

only those steelies give you the hubcabs on/hubcaps off jeckle & hyde mood swing option. beer.gif

@brant - think @Big Len is right.
radchad = shredtherad.
76-914
QUOTE(shredtherad @ May 17 2022, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 17 2022, 01:54 PM) *

It is running and there are no known rust issues - hell hole, longitudal, etc... pretty solid car.

Buying one that someone else sunk the $$$ into repairing is a smart move and your $$$ ahead. beerchug.gif
brant
QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 17 2022, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ May 17 2022, 04:14 PM) *

agree.gif

only those steelies give you the hubcabs on/hubcaps off jeckle & hyde mood swing option. beer.gif

@brant - think @Big Len is right.
radchad = shredtherad.

Cool

That white car was nice
And I know the previous owner then
tedg04
welcome.png
Tonyooc
welcome.png beerchug.gif
shredtherad
QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 17 2022, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(shredtherad @ May 17 2022, 01:47 PM) *

Thx.

did you pick up the white car on BAT?
if you did i think you got hold of a good car.

I did. I have not gone to get the car yet, the auction closed the same day we left to head of town.
shredtherad
QUOTE(Big Len @ May 17 2022, 03:50 PM) *

You're radchad.
I thought you did well buying your car. Congrats.
It may be easier to simply post a link to your auction so everyone can see the pics in detail.
Like I said, get that baby right, then take it to the 914 Red Rocks Classic in SLC. Scroll down a page or two and you'll see it's heading is in red.
Best of luck with the car !!

Thanks! I will post a link, I have not been able to get the car yet but I think Thursday is the day.
shredtherad
QUOTE(brant @ May 17 2022, 02:23 PM) *

The white car on BAT was a Colorado car and sold by a member here
I’m just guessing this is not the same car because it would not need to be shipped

Shedtherad,

Nice to meet you!
I’m also in longmont
I would be happy to invite you out to my house for 914 talk and a garage beer!

We have an active local group and do some drives as well as hold events
It would be great to meet in person and lots of resources around here
Brant

Oh super! Another Longmonter, that is awesome. We live in Oldtown. Anyhow, would love to come by and have a beer.

I am the one that scored the BAT white car, I have not been able to get down to get the car yet, but hopefully Thursday.
brant
Seller is an honest PCA guy
Met him in the pca in the late 80’s/early 90’s

He is a newer world-member too! Hopefully see’s this post even
brant
There is a nice thread on here about his hard work that n that car

I’m off hey 66 and hover
But we lived in old town for around 10 years
shredtherad
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-66/

here is the car that I purchased ^^^^ thoughts?

Click to view attachment

Also, maybe 1979 in the back of my dad's 356 racecar at LimeRock with my sister, she is older.

Click to view attachment
Puebloswatcop
Welcome to the madness.... welcome.png
Literati914
Congrats! I really dig the simplicity of it .. beer.gif

JOEPROPER
Looks like a great starting point for a restoration or just drive and enjoy. Whatever you plans are, I wish you luck and welcome.png
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(shredtherad @ May 17 2022, 04:33 PM) *

Also, maybe 1979 in the back of my dad's 356 racecar at LimeRock with my sister, she is older.

Click to view attachment

Your dad is George Lucas. That is AWESOME!

Welcome aboard.

Take advantage of Brant's invite, he is a great dude.
I just don't get invited anymore lol-2.gif
914xr75
Welcome aboard! You got a really nice car. I would suggest Pedrinis for your wheels and like the other members said, save the steelies. I was wondering if the repaint on your car is single stage since it was repainted so long ago. If so, with care it'll last a long time. I would suggest Gliptone carnauba paste with no cleaners. Congratulations.
shredtherad
QUOTE(914xr75 @ May 18 2022, 08:38 AM) *

Welcome aboard! You got a really nice car. I would suggest Pedrinis for your wheels and like the other members said, save the steelies. I was wondering if the repaint on your car is single stage since it was repainted so long ago. If so, with care it'll last a long time. I would suggest Gliptone carnauba paste with no cleaners. Congratulations.

Thank you! I am actually going to stick with the steelies, a little silver paint and some new tires. Which leads me to my next question.

Suggestion on tire and size, I saw a forum members car that looks amazing with steelies and caps, orange. Looks great.

I was thinking maybe 195/60R15's.... but not sure. Just first thought
shredtherad
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 18 2022, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(shredtherad @ May 17 2022, 04:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Your dad is George Lucas. That is AWESOME!

Welcome aboard.

haha... not George L but that would have been cool. Brant seems like a great dude, you guys are more than welcome to come over my pad and have some beers smile.gif. I have a couple cool things to mess around with smile.gif
shredtherad
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ May 18 2022, 05:41 AM) *

Looks like a great starting point for a restoration or just drive and enjoy. Whatever you plans are, I wish you luck and welcome.png

Thanks, Currently plan is to keep it as is, a tire upgrade and some cosmetic stuff like spraying the wheels appropriate silver, remove the tint, maybe the little black bumper stop things, but other than that... just have some fun.
930cabman
QUOTE(shredtherad @ May 18 2022, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ May 18 2022, 05:41 AM) *

Thanks, Currently plan is to keep it as is, a tire upgrade and some cosmetic stuff like spraying the wheels appropriate silver, remove the tint, maybe the little black bumper stop things, but other than that... just have some fun.

beerchug.gif And that's what it's all about beerchug.gif

enjoy in good health
Freezin 914
welcome.png

Your car has the look!
Welcome to the “sickness”. beerchug.gif
brant

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey Greg
Great to see you here
You know you are welcomed for garage beer absolutely any time!

To the OP….
What is your name?
Good luck tomorrow
Neat car
Hope to meet you in person

I’m out of town again this weekend
But maybe after work any day next week. Or next weekend I n the afternoons
Brant
wonkipop
QUOTE(shredtherad @ May 18 2022, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(914xr75 @ May 18 2022, 08:38 AM) *

Thank you! I am actually going to stick with the steelies, a little silver paint and some new tires. Which leads me to my next question.

Suggestion on tire and size, I saw a forum members car that looks amazing with steelies and caps, orange. Looks great.

I was thinking maybe 195/60R15's.... but not sure. Just first thought

yep - you can't go wrong with steelies. beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment

tyres are a personal thing.
i'm running 165 XAS. original profile.
very sticky (modern compound compared to back in the day)
the steering is delightfully light.
a bit pricey $.

i can vouch though for them as a pleasant surprise.
i have a 1.8, similar power level (like none!).
its easy to over-tyre these things - but its just an opinion.

shredtherad
[quote name='brant' date='May 18 2022, 05:51 PM' post='3002640']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey Greg
Great to see you here
You know you are welcomed for garage beer absolutely any time!

To the OP….
What is your name?
Good luck tomorrow
Neat car
Hope to meet you in person

I’m out of town again this weekend
But maybe after work any day next week. Or next weekend I n the afternoons
Brant
[/quote]

Hey Brant,
My name is Chad and next week sounds awesome, let’s can dm you my number.

Cheers!
targa72e
previous custodian sharing pics of new custodian. Happy to provide car and smile smile.gif

Click to view attachment

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.