Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: one piece windows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanf123
has anyone done without the vent windows in the doors? is it possible to have one piece window glass installed?
Mueller
it's possible, it'll just cost you a bunch since there no kits or anything off the shelf that'll work....if someone makes a bolt on kit, they can for sure sell quite a few....

as of now, the only way to have that "look" is not have windows and remove the little window and guide....do a search for 914RS, he has no side windows (lives in sunny AZ)
jonwatts
I've thought about doing this on my car but so far it's near the bottom of the list. I figure there are two ways it could be done without comissioning a run of 1000 sets of safety glass and going into the cal-look 914 business.

1. Polycarbonate single piece windows
- Easy to fabricate, all you need is a template, a band saw, and some kind of heat source to give it a curve.
- Attracts the racer crowd because they would probably be lighter
- Might be able to forego the window winder for a simpler up/down slider
- For the serious racer you could have a simpler setup of windows that just pop in and out for rainy race days

-OR-

2. Cut the window guide off at the top of the door. Connect the window, the chrome half of the window guide, and the vent window together. Move the bottom part of the guide forward towards the door hinges. Have the whole thing go up and down with the window crank.
- Keeps the original look
- Special pieces can be sold in a kit and the buyer re-uses his or her old glass

I don't mind how the vent windows look from the outside of the car, but when you're driving they kind of take away from the 'open' experience and the fact that they're not functional always kind of bugged me.

Anyway, like I said, I've thought about it a bit wink.gif

Jon
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif

SEEN IT DONE!!

The car had the bar shortened, and the window hoop layed back a couple degrees, and it had Mazda Miata windows, I asked!

I do not know how much the windows were modified, I haven't looked at a Mazda, on purpose, ever.

M
VegasRacer
What I want is for the small triangular vent window to be able to open. You know - like the way they did on all cars years ago. Push in the button, twist the latch and pivot the window open so you could direct the air flow. I don't think it should be to difficult to find the hardware for this mod. Maybe I'll do it on my next project car.
bd1308
What I want is for the small triangular vent window to be able to open. You know - like the way they did on all cars years ago. Push in the button, twist the latch and pivot the window open so you could direct the air flow. I don't think it should be to difficult to find the hardware for this mod. Maybe I'll do it on my next project car

OOH MY GOODNESS!!! that's what I want too.....

smilie_pokal.gif

seriously
smile.gif

i need it to cool down.

my grandfather's old toyota had that window.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 3 2005, 03:00 AM)
What I want is for the small triangular vent window to be able to open. You know - like the way they did on all cars years ago. Push in the button, twist the latch and pivot the window open so you could direct the air flow. I don't think it should be to difficult to find the hardware for this mod. Maybe I'll do it on my next project car.

Steal it from a bug. My 74 Super Beetle had that. Also had a full frame around the window. Hmm nuther problem.
Geez my window seals barely hold water out now Definately don't want to screw it up worser.
neo914-6
They are near the top of my list for the Neo914. New Porsches have done away with "vent" glass.

There is a member in AK that knows someone who built one piece windows, Nick. Apparently they were not refined so it required constant adjustment and he would not duplicate them based on the problems (I inquired).

I have my doors apart and have studied the rails. It will require a triangle "filler" so the front rail will have enough space to be mounted and there will be more than a "point" of the glass in the rail. Since the door is relatively short, there is very little room for structure below the window to firmly hold the window upright in extension. I hope to find a production glass but if I don't I'll go the plexiglass route to develop the lift mechanism. If there is enough interest to amortize, tooling will cost ~$3k. A kit may not be feasible since the door will require cutting and fabrication to fit the glass and mechanism. It would likely be a complete door with core charge.
seanery
I like Jon boy's 2nd solution the best so far. Does the winder get in the way?
boxstr
Jon I have actually cut a front window post and tried to figure out a way to secure it in the bottom part of the post when you want to roll up the side window. Make sense?
I put the whole thing on hold and havent gotten back to it. I will try and dig it out and take some pics.
I think it can be done. Just need to spend a little more time at it.
CCLINVENTINGGLASS
jonwatts
QUOTE (boxstr @ Aug 5 2005, 08:11 AM)
Jon I have actually cut a front window post and tried to figure out a way to secure it in the bottom part of the post when you want to roll up the side window. Make sense?

No, but then college didn't make much sense after 6 years either.

So would the top part of the post be removed/reattached as a separate step of the process?

Pictures would be good if you get a chance. Sounds like you and Felix have gone beyond just thinking about this. I was hoping it could be done as a kit. hmmm
spare time toys
I am going to make pop in windows for mine. They will have tube frames with legs that go into the door held on with pit pins. I like the look with out the windows.
neo914-6
My brother-in-law had pop windows in on his '52 Triumph TR2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.