Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 with 914 transmission: sensor locations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mitox
I’ve disassembled my 914 trans, so I can clean and paint the case prior to a rebuild. It will be hooked up to a 3.2 retaining the fuel injection and Motronics. Before it is painted I’d like to cut the notches needed in the case for the Motronic sensors, but I don’t have a clue where to cut.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or better yet, have measurements or a template for the cuts.

Thanks for any help you may have
mepstein
driving.gif
SirAndy
Not the best pictures but i don't remember this being especially difficult.

Test fit the trans, mark the sensor location, cut.
sawzall-smiley.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Steve
All I did was slide the 914 gear box onto the 3.2 motor as far as I could and then mark with a felt pen where the trans hit the two sensors and cut out a notch with a dremel tool.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ May 18 2022, 11:05 PM) *

All I did was slide the 914 gear box onto the 3.2 motor as far as I could and then mark with a felt pen where the trans hit the two sensors and cut out a notch with a dremel tool.

I remember this is what we did when we notched my trans. beerchug.gif
Mitox
Thanks for the direction everyone. I’ll mount the case to the engine next weekend; first
I’ll need to dig out the sensors and mount them. Hopefully they’re in one of the boxes I’ve not opened for a few years now.
worn
QUOTE(Mitox @ May 20 2022, 01:28 PM) *

Thanks for the direction everyone. I’ll mount the case to the engine next weekend; first
I’ll need to dig out the sensors and mount them. Hopefully they’re in one of the boxes I’ve not opened for a few years now.

It isn’t that hard. Angle grinder, sawzall, file. Your choice. I lined things up on the studs and semi-measured and eyeballed. Of course I didn’t want to look like an amateur, so I drew lines with a Sharpie. Fit just fine without letting too much of the elements in. Good luck with the search for your parts stashed away!
Tdskip
Same here - passenger side near top.
Maltese Falcon
In the days of 3.2 Vanagon conversions, I used to send out a "Hard-Wire" template of the DME sensors cut out; this had a semi-circle bend to it which mates to the upper bell-housing bolt hole (locator). >>passenger side for the mid-engine (drivers side) for the Vanagon.
The opposite end of the Wire had the contour (DME sensor area) from a g50 or 915 gearbox, which just places down + sharpie the pattern. I just went to a friendly Independent Porsche shop and they let me make the pattern from a trans that was on a pallet.
marty914.jpg
Mitox
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 20 2022, 09:37 PM) *

In the days of 3.2 Vanagon conversions, I used to send out a "Hard-Wire" template of the DME sensors cut out; this had a semi-circle bend to it which mates to the upper bell-housing bolt hole (locator). >>passenger side for the mid-engine (drivers side) for the Vanagon.
The opposite end of the Wire had the contour (DME sensor area) from a g50 or 915 gearbox, which just places down + sharpie the pattern. I just went to a friendly Independent Porsche shop and they let me make the pattern from a trans that was on a pallet.
marty914.jpg

I like your wire template idea. Just wish there were a Porsche shop or two nearby; maybe one in Roanoke. Sometimes living in the mountains is inconvenient, but only sometimes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.