Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust stains in under the rubber seal for the front hood
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Front trunk seal glued in after full repaint,and rust staining in some area's of the channel where no real rust is,how to remove in a passive way.
TIA,cheers.
SirAndy
The rust has to come from somewhere. Make sure it's not the car.

If it's not the car, my guess is that the seal probably has a metal lining that is rusting away.
idea.gif
JeffBowlsby
Naval jelly?
76-914
That seal should only be glued in a few spots. Not along it's length as water will be trapped. Look closely at the channel and you'll see it is made from two pieces of angle that are spot welded together and the paint is the only thing protecting it from rust. sad.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 23 2022, 02:56 PM) *

That seal should only be glued in a few spots. Not along it's length as water will be trapped. Look closely at the channel and you'll see it is made from two pieces of angle that are spot welded together and the paint is the only thing protecting it from rust. sad.gif

agree.gif think I have found the source of the staining which is only in a few isolated area's,these areas still have small patches of contact glue under the fresh paint.
I will treat these and prime the areas with high zinc and touch up with silver POR 15 which is actually a close match to my car.
Bit of a shame Porsche couldn't be assed to put some paintable sealer in this channel....total rot trap mad.gif .
bkrantz
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 22 2022, 08:56 PM) *

Or not glued at all, so it can be removed to clean and check the channel.
dhuckabay
As to the original question. Baking soda will not remove rust. It is great for neutralizing battery acid spills. The naval jelly comment is right. You can also buy the cleaner for gun blueing. It has phosphoric acid that is great for surface rust.
peteinjp
I have been dealing with rust stains and have found WD40 to work well enough for most of them.

Pete
Shivers
I've been dealing with a rust stain on a head light surround. Bleach and vinegar, not mixed together, got most of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.